Games Forum?

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Games Forum?

Postby ladi » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:40 am

I was wondering if a games forum would be popular?
I need to find out how to last more than 10 seconds playing BZFLAG! :-(

I also installed Eternal Lands yesterday, but got frustrated after spending 10 minutes trying to figure out how to catch a rabbit!

BTW, I think those two are among the best (free) games I've seen.
ladi
LXF regular

Postby dogsby » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:39 am

I think this is a great idea. I didn't intend to use my Linux box for gaming, but my PS2 runs on the shared house TV so time is limited. On the other hand, no-one is interested in using my computer so I get it all to myself.

I am also quite tempted by the GP2X but have not read anything yet that has pushed me into buying one.
dogsby

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:44 am

If enough people want such a forum, I'll consider it for the Misc section :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Re: Games Forum?

Postby Ugly_spud » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 am

ladi wrote:I also installed Eternal Lands yesterday, but got frustrated after spending 10 minutes trying to figure out how to catch a rabbit!

ladi - I had the same problem, fast aren't they ;)

ladi wrote:BTW, I think those two are among the best (free) games I've seen.

I've not heard of BZFLAG but definitely agree that Eternal Lands is one of the best games I've seen - I dual boot, so I've played it on Mandriva 2006 and WinXP and in my (admittedly possibly biased) opinion the Linux version is slightly superior.
Tyan S2915 mainboard
2 x Opteron 2354 CPUs
8 x Crucial 2Gb DDR2 PC2 5300 ram
6 x 2Tb Western DIgital Black in RAID array using AMCC 3ware SATA II raid controller and AMMC 3ware BBU-module-03
GeForce GTX285 2048Mb 512bit GDDR3 gfxcard
Ugly_spud

RE: Re: Games Forum?

Postby Lejon » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:04 am

I also would liek a Games forum.. as Linux is my primary (only atm.) platform, I play many games in Linux and Cedega.

Conserning surviving more than 10 secs in BZflag. MOVE if your still your dead.
Look at it as a FPS. if your still for one millisecond your dead. Move and jump like an idiot!
AND doin that, try to navigate + manage to shot down the other that do the same. As easy as that :D
I am the one you thought I was! Just not the way, you expected...
Lejon
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: Games Forum?

Postby ladi » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:59 am

Lejon wrote:Conserning surviving more than 10 secs in BZflag. MOVE if your still your dead.
Look at it as a FPS. if your still for one millisecond your dead. Move and jump like an idiot!
AND doin that, try to navigate + manage to shot down the other that do the same. As easy as that :D

I was moving! Well, I tried :(

I think someone should tell those folks to be nice to newbies! Maybe that's why I'm drifting more towards EL. There were at least 4 ocassions when I got a smashed windscreen as soon as I was connected. Never even saw what hit me. It was like someone knew where I would show up in the game, and was waiting there. Maybe it's lag on my broadband connection.... (Have to blame it on something! :))
ladi
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: Games Forum?

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:38 am

BZFlag drops you in random places on the map, it seems, so if a bullet is in your path you'll be wasted almost instantly. The best thing to do is look through the server list for a game with 5-or-so players and a large map, so you can learn the controls and flag power-ups in relative peace :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:39 pm

Just try what I always do when Im learning a new game, hold down the forward control before you are even dropped into the game, then run round like a headless rabbit hitting fire. I was lucky enough with BZFlag to find a server that was completely empty once, I happily moved around getting used to my controls and whatnot, when another player appeared and said "are you good?" so having taken a moment or two to find the button to talk back I said "no im new to this game", got the reply good good and the git wasted me incessantly!
Bzflag is a great game, though would be nice if there was some sort of single player with AI so you could learn all the controls :D
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby kilikopele » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:43 am

Was there really no interest in a Linux Gaming forum? I wouldn't use it as such for a "Tips" forum, but perhaps as a "How the hell do you get <insert game title> running on <distro>?" forum.
kilikopele
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:07 am

I think those kind of questions are better off in the Help forum -- otherwise the threads get spread too thinly amongst different forums...

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby kilikopele » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:20 pm

Got it.
kilikopele
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:41 pm

why don't we have a games running on ubuntu forum? we could swap tips about how we run games on ubuntu it would be great(in fact just like a school yard :roll: ) games forum :roll: get a grip :roll:
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:44 pm

1slipperyfish (troll) wrote: get a grip

Grip: a hand bag; a satchel or suitcase.

Useful for carrying your games consoles and such like. Good thinking (for a change), 1sf (troll)!
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:45 pm

Rhakios wrote:
1slipperyfish (troll) wrote: get a grip

Grip: a hand bag; a satchel or suitcase.

Useful for carrying your games consoles and such like. Good thinking (for a change), 1sf (troll)!

thanks i have a special sack that i carry everywhere with me :D
jpaul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby nelz » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:47 pm

1slipperyfish (troll) wrote:get a grip paul

The most sensible hing you've said in ages (ever?) :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Next

Return to Off Topic