Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to School shopping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phorneker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Back to School shopping Reply with quote

(A little background here: When I am not working on my website, or freelance consulting, I work in retail.)

This past week, having worked four straight days in the shoe department, I have had plenty of moments where I have three to four customers at once asking for my attention in finding shoes for customers. You could say that this is the retail equivalent to a denial of service attack. Smile

How many of you find that the retail stores are just as busy during the "back to school" week as it is during the month of December?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: RE: Back to School shopping Reply with quote

We don't get much "back to school" business in a builders' merchant. Since the weather picked up though, we do see quite a few more builders. They all seem to be digging holes to put plastic drainage in at the moment, we've had to place three stock orders already this month Shocked
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Back to School shopping Reply with quote

I used to work for Radio Shack (Tandy stores to guys at one time) in Canada. Back to school was huge, but not like Christmas. We did sell more calculators in Aug and Sept as well as computers. Computers were bigger for back to school than Christmas.
bigjohn
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Back to School shopping Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
We don't get much "back to school" business in a builders' merchant. Since the weather picked up though, we do see quite a few more builders. They all seem to be digging holes to put plastic drainage in at the moment, we've had to place three stock orders already this month Shocked

Ha! no the busy times at the builders merchant are just before the spring/easter bank holidays (but that means at the merchants and the distribution sites - having sat in a queue at Hansons Nuneaton just before last easter. The queue being about 40 trucks (artics) long - a mere 5 and a half hours, just to get loaded).

Oh and theres always the 0700/0730 and 1330/1400 rush, as the builders (chippies, sparks, etc etc) just think that they're the only important people, forgetting that without me, other drivers and our trucks they wouldn't have anything at the merchants to buy in the first place! But still just desert their bloody vans anywhere.

The only good thing being, that because they haven't got a clue about transport, they do "get the hump" when those nice friendly chaps at VOSA pull them over and bust them for unsafe/over loaded/generally dangerous state of their vehicles Very Happy

With the original thread topic in mind, last week I delivered the first of the Christmas stock to a local branch of Boots. They still have the "Back to school" stock on the shelves, and haven't even thought about the halloween stuff yet!

So don't forget kiddies, only a hundred and something shopping days till Crimbo - get there early Wink
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Back to School shopping Reply with quote

Yeah, I know about "back to school'. Not in the way like the retailers (and their suppliers Wink) do, but the end of the summer holiday (or any holiday period for that matter) doesn't go unnoticed in the Public Transport sector. Overnight the vehicles fill up, transporting kids to and from school. All sorts: young kids, just going to kindergarten with their mums (and the occassional dad on his way to the airport), the GCSE candidates, weary A-graders starting at their new school and the 'experienced' braging teens in their last year. Oh well, it'll wear off once they get their first job... Confused
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we don't have a back to school rush in the spying industry, every day is a rush Very Happy i'm thinking of going to work at a builders merchants(perhaps as manager) for a holiday, it would be more relaxing than flying to cyprus Very Happy
paul

Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then you wake up? Rolling Eyes Confused
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah back to school is always busy for me.. that's when the kids come back and I get the usual "I forgot me' password!!"
Forum Jester

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch_Master wrote:
And then you wake up? Rolling Eyes Confused

yes and then take it to the max every day Cool or did you mean managing a builders merchants???
paul

Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I didn't think our management could get much worse. Rolling Eyes

Let's face it 1sf (troll), you can scarcely manage to tie your shoelaces, what chance do you have of managing a business in an industry you know nothing about?
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
.... what chance do you have of managing a business in an industry you know nothing about?
Is there any business he knows something about? Except perhaps hijacking threads, annoying the regulars (and others) here and be a general nuisance to the public at large. Twisted Evil

Mr. Green
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch_Master wrote:
Rhakios wrote:
.... what chance do you have of managing a business in an industry you know nothing about?
Is there any business he knows something about? Except perhaps hijacking threads, annoying the regulars (and others) here and be a general nuisance to the public at large. Twisted Evil

Mr. Green

exactly, managing a bulders merchants could be just up my street Very Happy
paul

Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do try one up your street, and not up my street. Razz
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm at the end of your street now, just watching<sinister smillie>
paul

Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fat bloke up the end of street just at the moment, ugly looking SOB as well. Shocked
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: