Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incentives for Wiki Editors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comcamel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Incentives for Wiki Editors Reply with quote

With the wiki, i though it was a good idea, but really with the forum, there isn't much incentive or drive to edit except out of the goodness of your heart. Everymonth people who have done a lot of work should be mentioned in the magazine and get a small prize or something like that.. then i would start typing mad on it!
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Incentives for Wiki Editors Reply with quote

Just have to make sure that it is decent stuff and not rubbish!!

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Incentives for Wiki Editors Reply with quote

linuxgirlie wrote:
Just have to make sure that it is decent stuff and not rubbish!!

The prize or the contribution ? Wink
comcamel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Incentives for Wiki Editors Reply with quote

well both i would say. as anyone could just bung a copy of from the internet and say it is theirs. They would have to fully write it up using screenshots such as with their name in the background on one for proof.
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Incentives for Wiki Editors Reply with quote

putting ones signature at the bottom of the entry would ensure that there is someone to blame for crap edits Wink
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Incentives for Wiki Editors Reply with quote

This is tricky to do right -- with a great prize, there could be folks filling it up with pages from Wikipedia or elsewhere to win, and I can't check that every single entry is brand new Smile I'll have a think...

M
comcamel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Incentives for Wiki Editors Reply with quote

something like that, however identifiying a way of validating it would help work the idea. However an incentive is what is needed just a solution to ensure it isn't exploited. Maybe a small program that loads up a unique referral id, on linuxformat.co.uk and is display in the corner perhaps. Don't know to be sure...
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Incentives for Wiki Editors Reply with quote

Just about everything could be copied straight from Wikipedia... Am I the only one who sees this as significant!?!?
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is tricky to do right -- with a great prize, there could be folks filling it up with pages from Wikipedia or elsewhere to win, and I can't check that every single entry is brand new Smile I'll have a think...

Well you guys were asking for ideas for another LXF bounty, there you go... Design a program to stop people filling our Wiki with Wikipedia copy n pastes... Very Happy
pins
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm... community monitored? surely people would be able to spot straight copies pretty easily, by googling passages from the material, and could highlight that fact to others, isn't that part of what a wikis aboutanyway: community responsibility for the material?
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but with a lot of material, there may be some pages unchecked. Logistically it'd be a huge effort to give out prizes for contributions unless it was very well monitored! Still, I'm always thinking of possible options along that route. Plus, we have something special planned for the Wiki in the next few weeks, so keep watching Smile

(PS faroutsonoflung, thanks for spotting that old spam. There was nothing on that page originally, and I'm going to add a lot more help at some point.)

Mike
emyr42
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely there's some Linux-friendly office monkey at LXF Towers with enough spare time to take the best advice from the forums and include it in the wiki?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not the point of a Wiki. That's how a normal site might work, but a Wiki is open to contributions fro everyone.
comcamel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe, even if it isn't written by someone, but is in the wiki, it is picked out by a vote or the magazine team and put into the magazine? If it is good english and helpful enough so that everyone could do it. As i wouldn't mind my name been in the magazine for helping someone. Even if it says, contributed by blah blah
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one thing I could consider is putting an offline version of the Wiki on the coverdisc, to help those who don't have regular Internet access (like we sometimes do with the LDP archive). The Wiki would have to be fleshed-out a bit more beforehand, but it could be an idea!

M
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: