Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing Gentoo Linux from Oct '04 coverdisc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grobledc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Installing Gentoo Linux from Oct '04 coverdisc Reply with quote

Hi there,

I tried to install the Gentoo Linux from Oct '04. I wrote the .iso file that was generated when the batch file is run on the CD with K3B in RAW mode. Problem is, the CD doesn't boot. My cd drive perfectly boots other bootable CDs, including the MandrakeMove from the Feb '05.

Can you please assist!

Thanks
D.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Installing Gentoo Linux from Oct Reply with quote

The correct option in K3b is Tools->CD->Burn CD image. If you get no errors using that, and there was no error message when you created the ISO image with mkiso, the disc should boot.

What happens when you try to boot from the disc?
grobledc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I got no errors in K3B, I did burn the .iso image on a CD-RW though. Normally this works with all other Linux images I write (Suse, Mandrake, Redhat, etc.)
I used both Nero Express in Windows and K3B, and both successfully wrote the CD. When I boot up, the BIOS says:
Booting from CD-ROM: Failure...

Can you help?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a dodgy disc, I've found booting from CD-RWs to be unreliable. Alternatively, it could just be that the Gentoo disc is incompatible with your BIOS. Can you boot from the DVD?

Try Smart Boot Manager, in the Essentials directory of the DVD.
grobledc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not boot from the DVD (I don't think it is bootable) but I can boot from other DVDs, such as the DVD with the Sun Desktop System (Feb 2005). I have never tried Smart Boot Manager. I will give it a shot. Am not sure though whether it will solve the problem.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will, because the DVD is bootable. So your hardware and the Gentoo boot stuff don't appear to like each other. SBM is generally the solution in this situation.
grobledc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will try SBM. 2 more questions though: Does it overwrite the HDD boot sector? I currently have a dual boot Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Linux Suse System. I boot Suse from a CD, as I did have problems in the past with overwritten bootsectors. Can I run SBM from a CD?

Secondly, can one run multiple Linux distros on the same HDD, sharing the same swap drive (reiserfs), or not?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBM should be written to a floppy disk, which is used to transfer the boot process to the recalcitrant CD/DVD.

Yes, you can share a swap partition between distros, but swap partitions don't use Reiser.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: