wxPython

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

wxPython

Postby nordle » Tue May 03, 2005 5:08 pm

nordle
LXF regular

RE: wxPython

Postby LXFRulz » Sun May 15, 2005 7:51 pm

I would like to second that. I've been looking for an all purpose programming language, and python looks like a winner. Good with the Web, file I/O, but I'm not smart enough for C++, (I tried the KDevelop tutorial, but got stuck trying to learn C++) Maybe, you could redo that tutorial, but with Python! How cool would that be!?!
________
Dodge Hornet
________
DeSoto Firedome
Last edited by LXFRulz on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LXFRulz

Postby lxfadmin » Tue May 17, 2005 1:46 pm

Would you rather have wxPython or pyGTK?

personally, I like the wxWidgets stuff, and it is cross-platform, but the builds are in a bit of a mess - t always seems much harder to get it to work than, for example pyGTK.
lxfadmin

Postby nordle » Tue May 17, 2005 11:39 pm

wxPython for sure (running 2.6.0.0 here np), installed boa ok and spe, and the wxPython Demo (which is excellent).
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby LXFRulz » Wed May 18, 2005 1:45 pm

Either one would be great. The ability to create a program with a GUI on Linux would be absolutley inspiring. How different is it to communicate with a GUI between the different "libraries"? (wxPython or pyGTK with pyQT we could take advantage of Qtopia or embedded QT ? for a picture gallery on a handheld. :) I understand the issues about QT and it not being totally GPL too, so whatever you guys decide, I'm going to buy the magazine anyways!

To be honest, any tutorial on Python would be greatly appreciated. After reading about Plone, I'm totally conviced that Python is the language to learn for me. There are mapping programs, web programs, any thing you want programs that are created with Python. It is limited only by your imagination and pretty straight forward to learn. A solid introduction to some of the classes/libraries/functions would be a great way to get started with "REAL" programming!

Thanks! :lol:
________
Honda CR250M specifications
________
Honda CBF1000 specifications
LXFRulz

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs