Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux From Scratch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gordon
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Linux From Scratch Reply with quote

Have any Linux Format readers attempted to install a Linux From Scratch system?

Did you come across any problems or do you have any good tips? What do you think about Linux From Scratch?

I've built a base Linux From Scratch system and am now upgrading it with Beyond Linux From Scratch. I'm using version 6 of both. So far I have the base LFS, jed editor, links browser, Xorg and fvwm2 installed. There are a few other things installed, but they are the sort of "invisible" things you don't really see; openssl, cracklib, pam, shadow, iptables etc.

As you can see I'm slowly working my way through BLFS6. I've got my broadband working and set up a firewall per the BLFS book, but I can't really tell if the firewall is working. How would I check or test this with a single machine?

The thought of having a Linux system tailored to my hardware and my wishes was just too tempting.

What do you think?

Gordon Murgatroyd
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Linux From Scratch Reply with quote

Try Shields Up!
Gordon
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Linux From Scratch Reply with quote

Thanks for that Nelz. It appears my Linux from Scratch system is more secure than SUSE 9.3 at the moment! Maybe I need to reconfigure the SUSE personal Firewall.
Gordon
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Linux From Scratch Reply with quote

I've now got the GNOME desktop working, butt appear to be having a problem with the panel icons. Any ideas out there?

I must say that Gnome feels far more responsive now it's been compiled from source.

No native GNOME apps compiled as yet though.

Rolling Eyes
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: RE: Linux From Scratch Reply with quote

I first tried LFS 3.1 some years ago, and it went very smoothly and worked well. However, the BLFS book was very incomplete at that stage, and I had no idea how to get X compiled and installed properly, so I stuck with Debian for a while. A little later I tried LFS 3.3, and that also went without hitch. And by that time the BLFS book was a little more useful, so I was able to build a fully usable system that eventually became my default OS, and stayed that way for about 18 months until I upgraded to BLFS 5.0.

I use Slackware these days to avoid having to build a base system and X myself - as the parent of a small child, my computer time is limited now Exclamation - but I still find the BLFS book useful for installing stuff that doesn't come as standard with Slack.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: