Arch Linux feature... please?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby VLegacy » Wed May 04, 2005 9:08 pm

Perhaps LXF could review Arch Linux? I switched my desktop machine over to it from Gentoo, and have been very pleased.
VLegacy

RE: Arch Linux feature... please?

Postby waterwingz » Tue May 10, 2005 12:50 am

I used Arch for a while and really liked their package management and the overall look and feel of the system. Except that I could never make my fonts look as good as those I had when I used Fedora. So I switched back.

Having said that, an article in LXF about Arch would certainly be more interesting than yet another article about the latest version of SUSE (yawn).

:twisted:
waterwingz

Postby VLegacy » Mon May 16, 2005 4:37 pm

My fonts looked terrible for a long time, but I eventually read the LDP's Font HOWTO, which helped me improve them tremendously. I didn't start using Microsoft's fonts, which the how-to suggests, but the other advice did the trick. It also explains quite a bit about fonts in general, setting out clearly what Anti Aliasing and Hinting are, for example.
VLegacy

Postby andymg » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:04 am

I have been a Linux Format subscriber since the issue 10 & think that the heavyweight distro's have received far too much attention. I switched from SuSE to SlackWare to Debian to Gentoo then to Arch Linux. It is still on all of my PC's 2 years later for very good reason: Arch is becoming very popular for mid-level users because it combines the best of Slackware's simplicity, Debians/gentoo's package management and gentoo's speed (did I say it was i686 optimized?). The user community is also superb -if you have a problem (eg:fonts!) just look in the WiKi for your answer...
If Linux Format run another mini-distro round-up I'm gonna go round the bend! Come on guys, take a look at some of these other up & coming distro's. If I had seen a review on Arch Linux earlier -I'd have converted a lot sooner & saved myself a packet on the 6 monthly Suse upgrade cycle!
andymg

RE: Arch Linux feature... please?

Postby nelz » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:12 am

LXF69 has three of the smaller (but not mini) distros on the DVD, one of which is Arch, which is also on the CD.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby VLegacy » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:48 pm

Excellent! Thanks!
VLegacy

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs