Linux - Trivial benefits.

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux - Trivial benefits.

Postby ajCham » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:19 pm

The people here will no doubt be able to reel off a long list of genuine, logical reasons for using Linux. But what about the illogical reasons, the small unimportant aspects of Linux that make us smile.

For me, a feature I love is that, unlike Windows, I can install Linux in English. Not American-English. English. I can change settings such as fonts and colours. I do this in the control centre etc, etc...

I recognise that, when all is said and done, this doesn't really matter. My computer is no easier to use nor is it more productive or efficient.

So why do I like it so much?
ajCham

Postby noelob » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:48 pm

its little things like that that are probably considered to be hygiene factors (Herzbergs theory : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_factors). Small things like the spellings you mentioned do not particularly motivate us when they are correct but they do annoy us when they are incorrect!

Kind regards,
Noel
noelob

Postby pins » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:04 pm

for me one of the small kicks to using linux is that the open source model stands in such blatant opposition to traditional capitalism.
pins
LXF regular

Postby bigjohn » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:35 pm

pins wrote:for me one of the small kicks to using linux is that the open source model stands in such blatant opposition to traditional capitalism.

Heh heh! Solidarity comrade. Up the workers :D

regards

John

p.s. Personally, I use linux because I was driven mad by my brother, who is the family Rocket Scientist and linux bore. Plus it enables me to use all the trimmings of modern life (net, email, word proc' etc) without having to contribute to Billy Gs' bank balance (must be terrible when you get down to your last couple of hundred million). Notwithstanding the social/moral/ethical issues I have with some of MSs' more dubious business practices!
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:38 pm

I use linux cos it does all that I need and I don't have to pay Microparp, I use freeview on an ariel cos I don't want to pay Rupe.
I like linux cos of all the nice crazy people involved, Linus, Alan Cox, RMS and even the nutty Eric Raymond, bless his cotton socks, and not forgetting the inmates of LXF Towers.
Oh, and power to the people :lol:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby jjmac » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:57 pm

pins wrote:
>>
for me one of the small kicks to using linux is that the open source model stands in such blatant opposition to traditional capitalism.
>>

(grin), I can see the point, but....
Well,,,, "oposition" hmmmm, not really. Traditional capitalism was always about the people owning the means of capital. That is, via the issuing of shares. It's just that the more totalitarion/psychopathically oriented types saw a chance to exploit that system. And thats what they did.

ajCham wrote:
>>
But what about the illogical reasons,
>>

But if it is a reson then it can't be illogical (that dosen't make sense) (grin) hehehe.

I used to like Borlands CBuilder, along with the various Java ide's that used to be widely available via mag discs. Visual J, PowerJ etc.

But if i was still doing Windows i doubt if i would have learn't much in the long run. Everything is so closed down in that system. The lid just wont pry off. And i'm sure most of you would be aware of the extornsionist fees that are charged for those crummy 8 week intensive IT,courses they like to hawk. Linux is fresh air.

Plus you get to say things like awk and gawk etc. Plus multi virtual screen pages, which i just could not live without now. It's all pluses from any particular angle really.

>>
For me, a feature I love is that, unlike Windows, I can install Linux in English. Not American-English. English. I can change settings such as fonts and colours. I do this in the control centre etc, etc...

I recognise that, when all is said and done, this doesn't really matter. My computer is no easier to use nor is it more productive or efficient.
>>

(grin), isn't that somewhat contradictory ajCham :wink: :)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby doctorflange » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:35 pm

I like how, when you enter a site password protected by .htaccess, you get an authorisation dialogue, and not an Authorization Dialog.
Signature license here. Background by Michele Valentinuz. Source.
doctorflange

Postby M0PHP » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:10 pm

Aahhh... good old British English. Something that MS seem to ignore and would like to pretend didn't exist :lol:
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:34 pm

i like it cos it's nice :D
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby ElectraComplex » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:14 pm

for me its several reasons:
-linux has a toolkit that i like the look of (ie gtk). i never found a way of making applications look attractive with windows no matter how i themed it. QT has the same natural ugliness about it. i quite like the mac toolkit.
-rather than having 1 big bloated application (as is the case in the vast majority of cases on windows, mac, and KDE), i can always find a small application that just does what its supposed to do.
-its all free :D
-an open and modular architecture (the same can't be said for windows, mac, or KDE).
ElectraComplex

Postby ajCham » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:03 pm

doctorflange wrote:I like how, when you enter a site password protected by .htaccess, you get an authorisation dialogue, and not an Authorization Dialog.

Aah, for a while I was beginning to think I was alone in this!
ajCham

Postby Rhakios » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:16 pm

Trivial benefits? You can play silly tricks on people with a little forethought.

Me: "Hey Dave! Look at the the things you can do with linux from the command line."

rhakios@pythia:~> beep

Computer goes beep!

rhakios@pythia:~> whoami
rhakios

rhakios@pythia:~> whoareyou
I am your humble computer, oh my master

rhakios@pythia:~> whoiswithme
Dave is with you

Dave: "How does it know that?"

:)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby towy71 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:50 pm

Yep, I was right you do have too much timeon your hands ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Rhakios » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:08 pm

I didn't find a little editing of .bashrc that time consuming.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby jjmac » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:35 am

Plus you can run "amor". Just discovered that today. And "grep" is another good word. And aliasing is another one of those things that likely goes mostly unused as well.

edit: 1 spell :roll:

jm

Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed !
jjmac
LXF regular

Return to Discussion