Xandros anybody?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Rhakios » Fri May 13, 2005 6:17 pm

Maybe, but I was thinking of your family (the people in your house who aren't inside your computer).
:)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Fri May 13, 2005 7:04 pm

well colin my computer and i would be spending some quality time together :D graham my guitar is already a bit jealous :roll: but my wife often says things like how much time can you spend on the damn computer/guitar :D
i have installed mandriva (hooray for me!!) but i can't get onto the internet with it yet as it keeps asking questions about my modem that i don't know the answer to like it keeps asking for it's code :? i have tried several times now to shout at it that it is an asdl i think from freeserve and doesn't have any codes :roll: but to no avail :roll:

one final obvious question can you download(if i can get onto the internet) development tools for real languages not just scripts for people who can't/are afraid to compile, because when i ran the pclinux live cd it had a C compiler and IDLE for scripters where this mandriva has none
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby M0PHP » Fri May 13, 2005 7:10 pm

1slipperyfish (troll) wrote:well colin my computer and i would be spending some quality time together :D graham my guitar is already a bit jealous :roll: but my wife often says things like how much time can you spend on the damn computer/guitar :D

You name your computer colin and your guitar graham, yet your partner is simply called "wife"? :shock:
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri May 13, 2005 7:16 pm

What crippled version of Mandriva are you using? It has loads of development tools.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Fri May 13, 2005 7:24 pm

just the dvd version on the front of this months linux format(after swearing i wouldn't pay over £6 for a magazine again!!!) why?
m0php it's ok my ipod hasn't got a name either :D
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Fri May 13, 2005 7:38 pm

Well, 1sf (troll), I have had a look at the LXF DVD version of Mandriva and it has the gcc compiler various bits of php stuff and so on. Perhaps you just haven't installed them.
I don't think you get java with the free version, but packages are available, including things like eclipse (I expect it will be with the jpackage stuff).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Fri May 13, 2005 7:52 pm

yes i have looked at the mandrake site and it mentioned the gcc compiler :? command line coding woohooo hardcore 8) but i still can't find anything about configuring my modem, just adverts for linux modems, with one promising link for how to code it in c but it was a load of rubbish anyone can print linux blah blah blah at command prompt :roll:
so i can't download anything at the minute :roll: if i do config my modem through source code or whatever will it still work with windows ? otherwise we will have a quiet household with no-one speaking to me :D
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Fri May 13, 2005 7:57 pm

Yes, it will still work with Windows, the configuration takes place on your Linux system, unless you cock it up of course.

You can already get gcc, just open a console, type su, enter you root password, then do

urpmi gcc

it will probably offer you several packages and ask you to put your install disc in. This is the hardcore CLI way of doing things, don't you feel like a real Linux geek now. :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Fri May 13, 2005 8:02 pm

totally 8)
i have looked over the net for modem info i might even have to buy one next weekend when i'm off :roll: i thought adsl modems would be alright
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby nelz » Fri May 13, 2005 8:34 pm

If you'd looked at that paper thing stuck to the back of the DVD, you would have seen that it recommended selecting the Development group when installing :)

Your ADSL modem sounds like a Speedtouch. You need to download a file containing some microcode for the driver to work. The nicrocode file is free, but not freely distributable, so Mandr* cannot include it in the distro.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby towy71 » Fri May 13, 2005 9:18 pm

I begin to suspect that we might wish that the file 1sf (troll) downloads is nitroglycerine ;-)

whoops :oops:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby 1slipperyfish » Fri May 13, 2005 10:46 pm

charming :roll: i have been looking into c programming (sorry it's the wrong forum) how basic is that in fact we may as well code basic or python rather than c i thought we had gotten away from all that i know i bang on about it but java is so clean compared with c i found the same with c++ it's just so crude
sorry now i've had my moan :roll:
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby nordle » Fri May 13, 2005 11:08 pm

I know next to nothing, but visualy I think Python is nicer as its uses white space and indenting to dictate where sections of code begin and end, instead of in java where its covered in squigly brackets.
So it solves both the syntax issue while keeping uniformed looking code too.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Re: RE: Xandros anybody?

Postby skecs » Sat May 14, 2005 2:41 am

nelz wrote:There is the "Open Desktop" edition, but the licence specifically prohibits copying or redistribution. There's nothing in the GPL to stop someone bundling GPLed software with proprietary, so the whole collection cannot be freely distributed. SUSE used to do this before they were acquired by Novell and Red Hat stopped us including their distro on the cover discs from about RH8.

Hi all,

It's funny how things work out :roll:) - I have just bought "apc magazine" in Australia and was surprised to find Xandros Open Circulation Edition as an ISO on the DVD. I have checked the EULA and it can be included and distributed. The relevant section of the EULA is below and the full EULA is available at: http://www.xandros.com/products/home/de ... cense.html

EULA

6. DISTRIBUTION

(a) Subject to the restrictions contained in Section 5 hereof, You may distribute copies of the Software Product provided that:

1. a copy of this EULA is included with the Software Program and the user of the Software Program agrees to be bound by the terms and conditions hereof;

2. You do not charge a license fee for the Software Product, provided that you may charge a nominal fee to compensate you for the direct costs associated with Your redistribution of the Software Product;

3. the Software Product has not been altered or modified in any way;

4. the Software Product is the most recent version made available by Xandros;

5. the following copyright notice shall be conspicuously displayed in such distribution: "Xandros Desktop OS Open Circulation Edition, (c) Xandros Corporation 2003-2005. All rights reserved."; and

6. You comply with all export laws, rules and regulations in the jurisdictions where the Software Product, including any Software Programs, are exported or re-exported from time to time.
Regards from
Downunder!
.... _
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
skecs

RE: Re: RE: Xandros anybody?

Postby nelz » Sat May 14, 2005 2:18 pm

Just above the part you quoted, you'll find

(g) not distribute the Software Product with magazines or books except with the prior written consent of Xandros.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

PreviousNext

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs