How about Xine unhobbled?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Raymond » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:12 pm

To play DVD`s I downloaded Ogle.xxx.rpm and libdvdread.xxx.Ogle.rpm. I already tried installing xine-lib-1.0.tar.gz and libdvdcss.rpm libdvdread.rpm but xine would`nt work but after installing Ogle they all worked.
Raymond

Postby kevanf1 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:07 am

Just to return to this thread after a few months.... I tried out Zenwalk Linux off LXF 72. Encrypted commercial DVD's play straight out of the box with out any need for downloading of the DeCSS files. Now, how come a freely available distro can do it but a paid for one like SuSE Pro (I'm obviously not counting the downloaded version) cannot do so? I'm sure most people wouldn't mind paying that few pence more for the licence. Before somebody jumps in and states the obvious of where does that end don't forget the paid for SuSE already has some commercial software included. It really does seem rather odd to me. Anyway, I'm pleased to announce that I also got DVD's playing in SuSE 9.3 I was pointed to a fantastic little HOW TO which I'll pass on here:

http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/dvdplay/

It's written for SuSE 9.3 but I'm sure it wouldn't take much tweaking for other distro's.
kevanf1
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:05 am

I think you'll find it's not the cost, but the fear of prosecution in the US that's keeping DeCSS out of SuSE etc.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:40 pm

You just remove the crippled xine-lib and xine-ui that came with SuSE, replace them with the versions from Packman (plus whatever additional binaries are also needed - they are listed on the site), install libdvdcss and away you go. Protect the Packman versions of xine with the little padlock in YaST and they won't get overwritten with SuSE ones when you do an update.

I've never failed to get DVDs playing in any distro I've used, although I find mplayer rather temperamental. xine and kaffeine suit me best.

But I do agree that some way really ought to be found to enable the playing of encrypted DVDs in Linux straight out of the box. It is something many would-be converts complain about.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby kevanf1 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:30 pm

I agree that it is the threat of legal action that stops SUSE Novell from including the libraries.

Now, it's been stated that you need to delete the crippled versions... Are you sure? I did not have to do that. I simply followed the instructions from the plainfaqs site and away it went.
kevanf1
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:04 pm

kevanf1 wrote:Now, it's been stated that you need to delete the crippled versions... Are you sure? I did not have to do that. I simply followed the instructions from the plainfaqs site and away it went.

I've always followed the practice of removing the SuSE versions first simply because I was advised to do this by someone in my early days of trying to get DVDs playing. However, I haven't as yet set up xine to play DVDs in my latest SuSE 9.3, so I have an ideal opportunity to do as you have done and see what happens. :)
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:59 pm

Rightie ho, I've now done the necessary, following the plainfaqs.org instructions to the letter.

Basically you achieve the same thing in the end. The way I've always done it is to remove the SuSE versions first. The way the plainfaqs.org does it is to replace the SuSE versions during the procedure. What it did on my system was:

Remove kaffeine 0.5.10.1 and install version 0.7.1-0.pm.0
Remove xine-lib 1.0-10.3 and install libxine1 1.1.0-12.pm.1

In addition, to resolve dependencies, it installed:
libtheora, speex and w32codec-all

However, I found it took an absolute age to do the downloading for some reason (I have a 2MB broadband connection, by the way), whereas if I go direct to Packman rather than using it as a YaST installation source, the packages download in a trice. Very odd.

Oh and the other thing is that xine-ui wasn't replaced, so I still have the message about possibly violating copyright regulations when xine starts up.

So, all in all, I think the plainfaqs are excellent (I don't think they were around when I started using SuSE) but on balance I'm inclined to carry on doing it the way I am used to, ie remove the original SuSE versions, download libdvdcss, then go to Packman direct and download the files individually.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Gordon » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:40 pm

The slow download speed is probably due to the server at the other end. You could have the fastest net connection possible but if the server at the other end only transmits at 56k then that's all you'll get. Also load on the other server could be a significant factor in the download speed.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Gordon
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:09 pm

Gordon

Thanks for the explanation. I'd completely overlooked that point !!
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby jdtate101 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:27 pm

I gave up trying to get xine working with DVD's, so I turned to use OGLE instead:

http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/

All the links for the requsites are on the donloads page. Ogle also does DVD menus.
Ubuntu Edgy & Beryl on:

AMD X2 4800+
4GB Corsair TWINX RAM
1.2TB RAID0 SATA2 (3ware RAID)
2 x Seagate 400GB USB2
Dual Layer DVD-RW
Nvidia 7800GT
2 x Viewsonic VP201b TFT
Iomega Rev Internal
jdtate101
LXF regular

Previous