Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVD burner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aleks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: DVD burner Reply with quote

I`m going to build my own computer when I move to england this summer. I wsa going to start building one a few months ago but I realised that it would just be largely unpracticle to transport it to my new home in england compared to building it when I get there. Problem is though that the computer I have here is very slow. So I made the decision to upgrade certain parts of the computer and when I move to england I`ll put them back into their packaging and take them with me. At the moment I`ve bought a GeForce FX5200 card. I used to have an old Voodoo 3 card but it didn`t work well with Linux and a the FX5200 was good value for money. Also I don`t really need more than the performance it gives me. What I want to do now is install a DVD burner. But I need to know if there are any DVD burners that do not work with Linux. I`ll be buying an internal drive. I`ve got my eyes on the LITEON SHW160P6S. Will it work?

I`m running OpenSUSE SICK whic I got from the LFX78 DVD.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: RE: DVD burner Reply with quote

It should work. DVD writers all use the same command set, so one IDE/ATAPI device is much the same as any other. Chances are that several of the models you have looked at are rebadged versions of the same unit.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: