New Distro!! Windows Hasta La Vista

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby shifty_ben » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:54 pm

like hda2 rather than random and useless names like C/D etc.

I remember putting a 2nd hard drive in for a mate, suddenly all his games stopped working because his CDROM drive (D:) had become E: he had to reinstall every single one of them. Every time he installed something from the windows disk he had similar problems. One of the curses of Windows that, but I suppose it is easier from a lets-dumb-it-down-to-infinity point of view ;)
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:18 pm

I had that problem when I was younger. Had to open up all the .ini files for a mountain of games and change CD-ROM = D: to the obvious E: (later used for NoCD hacks). Then MS invented the registry and all was well in the world, all the virii had found a home and spyware could more easily manifest itself on your machine. You have to love MS for providing us all with hours of endless entertainment as we fix all our friends machines and try to secure them from futher braindead abuse.

Just recently my Auntie complained that the Spyware scanner I installed wasn't working. I asked if she had actually run it (of course, its hardly obvious that you need to run something for it to work. In real life buying a car automatically takes you to the supermarket does it not).

//edit - also another solution to the directory problem would be simply going into the control panel and moving a few drive letters around. Of course labeling different devices with different prefixes wouldn't appeal to those down at microparp. //
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:55 am

MS and NSA collaboration has been suggested before. It's something i wouldn't put passed them. But possibly it is implemented as a design flaw that also doubles as a kind of dubious feature. MS are basically just given a kind of "green light" nod from the government because the later finds utility in the crappyness.

A problem/concern i think they have with the wide spread adoption of a secure system like Linux is that it makes it harder to spy on their citizens. It becomes a bit like door locks. A real crim will always find a way regardless of the antie level.

(now to go and actually read the link (grin))

jm
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed !
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby Cogar » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:57 pm

mugstar wrote:Vista looks rubbish - I'm sticking with Windows Really Good Edition

(Flash required)

LOL. I have not seen that for some time and forgot how funny it was. That was the best laugh I have had today. :mrgreen:
Cogar

Previous

Return to Announcements