Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which clock is correct?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Which clock is correct? Reply with quote

On the first Sunday morning of BST I corrected one of my PC clocks courtesy of the Ubuntu timeserver, and then reset my other computer and household clocks from that via my wristwatch. OK, not wildly accurate, but hey I'm not leading an SAS assault here. A little later that day I posted in this forum and saw that the forum time was a couple of minutes ahead of my computer.

I've just compared your server time against BBC time as shown in the text pages of both the analogue and digital (freeview) transmissions. Again you're more than 2 minutes ahead. (Interestingly, BBC analogue time seems to be ahead of digital time - not just the digital couple of seconds, but more than a minute.)

So - which clock is correct? Smile

(Picture this - me sitting with my feet up in front of the telly, with a laptop on my lap, flicking from analogue to digital, comparing times and getting worried about a two to three minute discrepancy. Should I have posted in shifty-ben's "What makes you sad?" thread? Wink
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Future magazine forum.

Sorry about that. Embarassed
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about the difference too much, the ntp time serves I normally use have only just corrected to take into account the change from GMT to BST, should have seen me fly out of bed that sunday morning when I saw the time and thought bugger they have corrected themselves, im late for work. Get to work and Im there an hour early Sad thats every time the clocks have changed in the last 4 years that I have screwed up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: