Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Linux
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan4100

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question.

Is (Ubuntu, Mandriva, Suse, Fedora) a separate operating system like Linux or they are just VM applications running on top of Windows like Visual Basic.

But your mentioning about them above sounds like they are definitely separate operating systems independent of Windows that is hard to believe.

Your reply will help.
towy71

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nearly believed you weren't a troll, but now you are stretching credulity just that little bit too far
alan4100

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I just could not delete it. Pls ignore it and read next message.

Last edited by alan4100 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
alan4100

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I overlooked your message. You made it very clear that VM becomes my operating system. I just found out that I can start knobbit from bootable live CD. Plan to order it .
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install a virtual machine of Linux on top of Windows. VMware and co-operative Linux both do that. Fedora, Mandriva et al are Linux Os's Linux only actually refers to the kernel. I should point out, obvious though it may seem that if you run it in a VM on top of windows it will be subject to many of the issues that Windows is - instability etc. Only running it native will you see its true benefits in terms of those where Windows is lacking (well except freedom)
alan4100

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towy71,

Unbelievable! In replying to your earlier message about my old pc. It has 256 megs. Therefore, plenty.

I am placing order on Knobbix now.. Mandriva maybe later.

I always thought there are some virtual linux programs running on Windows. Maybe I am not clear. Dont bother to reply.
Hello
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most confusing thread ive ever read Confused
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Most confusing thread ive ever read Confused

Looks like 1sf (troll) might have some competition Wink
towy71

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan4100 wrote:
I'm a troll fol de rol
I'm a troll fol de rol
and I'll eat you for my supper

There you are Hello, that should clear up your confusion Wink Laughing Razz

well thats what I think anyway

edited to make it scan better Wink

Last edited by towy71 on Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

folderoll?
Hello
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intresting use of a troll if it is one, never really expected it to be one but I havent really used forums so am not too sure how to identify one

Am I a troll?
alan4100

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty ben,

I dont where the original post went, but I repeat here.
You are saying that "we can install a virtual machine of Linux on top of Windows. VMware and co-operative Linux both do that."

Therefore, these are indeed big Windows applications.

But you clearly pointed out that Fedorea, Mandriva are kernel driven. You are confirming that they are very different from virtual machines; I am assuming that you mean that they are using their own separate compilers. In other words, they are written on the x486 chip platform (by passing Windows).

If I am not that close, dont waste more time because I know I am going to use c or c++ soon with knoppix. It is now on way.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A troll is someone who a) lays Flamebait for no other reason than to start a flamewar or b) Tries to waste the time of forum users (as this one appears to be) by asking questions that no-one would normally ask

Kind of a vague definition but that about sums it up.

I've always find Trolling kind of interesting in that (for me at least) the only person truly wasting their time is the Troll. I only ever come on the forums when I have nothing else I should be doing or because I feel like coming on here. If I am programming then the I will only stop to come on the forums if I get a topic reply notification for a thread that I find interesting, or I am stuck on a problem. So Trolling does not waste my time in that i am already in effect wasting it. Not to say that coming on the forums is a waste of time, because its not but you see what I am getting at.

As for the Trolls who lay flamebait I find it kind of pathetic that they have nothing better to do than try to start flamewars (Though reading a good flamewar can be quite amusing). No the thing that P*sses me off is people who try to use forums for Spam and advertising - take for example the 'Phone sales' threads that have appeared a number of times, let alone the spam that appeared in the poll.

Then again that might just be because Spam P*sses me off anyway. Question is why do Trolls bother? is it because they are MS/Mac fanboys? Is it because they have nothing better to do? Do they find it funny? Or is it just that they are grumpy people who live under a bridge Wink

Personally I think it is the last one, the bridge in the metaphor being everyone else being able to use/understand the object in question. It strikes me as coincedental that most Trolls on Linux forums clearly have no idea of how to use it, some don't even seem to know what Linux is.

To sum up a Troll is someone who tries to climb the bridge of understanding and whack those legitemately on/above the bridge on the head Wink
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shifty ben,

I dont where the original post went, but I repeat here.
You are saying that "we can install a virtual machine of Linux on top of Windows. VMware and co-operative Linux both do that."

Therefore, these are indeed big Windows applications.

VMWare and Co-operative Linux are both Windows applications (Though VMWare can also be used on Linux and Mac. However these alone will not give you Linux, you will still need a distro such as Mandriva or Fedora to run within the Virtual Machine. A Virtual Machine is after all as the name suggests A Virtual Computer inside your computer.

Quote:

But you clearly pointed out that Fedorea, Mandriva are kernel driven.
You are confirming that they are very different from virtual machines;

They are operating systems, of course they are different form Virtual machines. You cannot run a Virtual machine without an Operating System (In reality you need two because theres no point running a VM without running something inside it) All Operating systems are Kernel Driven. IIRC Windows XP uses the NT kernel, difference is because it is closed source you become dependant on MS releasing patches for it.

Your Best bet is to google for a programming tutorial, if you are interested in learning C or C++ I can recommend "SAMS Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours." If you do not know the basics of programming then it does not matter a bit which OS you are using. If you are thinking in terms of cost then the book i recommend comes with a compiler.

Enjoy using Linux
alan4100

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty Ben,

Many thanks for steering me into the right path on the virtual machine concept and et al. It is clear now. Altho I know C and C++ concepts, I have a long way to go.

Also, I want to thanks others; got nearly 30 notes.

Definitely, you are a big help. On your mentioning on Sams tutorials; I take it well. Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: