Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows2000

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acraigon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Windows2000 Reply with quote

I have a spare 2.2gb of disk space alongside a windows 2000 ntfs partition of 4.1gb which is on a college network. The Computer is a Dell Optiplex running at 400 mhz with 128mb of ram. I can load the operating system onto the hard disk using MiniSlack which takes up 1.2gb but when I try to create a boot disk or lilo on a floppy it will not let me. I therfore cannot boot into the Linux operating system. Anyone know why I cannot create lilo or a boot disk on floppy?(The floppy drive works)
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Windows2000 Reply with quote

have you tried using SmartBootManager (in the Essentials directory) which has been on LXF cover disks for ages?
simple to create a floppy that will recognise any bootable partition
HTH
Dick
fingers99
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Windows2000 Reply with quote

Quote:
when I try to create a boot disk or lilo on a floppy it will not let me.

Is the floppy fully formatted? Often a "quick" format doesn't allow enough space.

An alternative, if you can get access to the bios, is a live CD: what you have will struggle with Kanaopix or Knoppix, but should run DSL just fine.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: