stupid question

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

stupid question

Postby pins » Fri May 05, 2006 9:33 pm

if you wanted to do something really stupid, would it be possible to set up grub/lilo to chain load grub/lilo from another drive, which was only set up to chain load the loader from the first drive, so that if there were no alternatives in the boot menu, someone would become stuck in an infinite cycle of boot loaders?
pins
LXF regular

RE: stupid question

Postby GMorgan » Fri May 05, 2006 10:05 pm

I can't see why not. It wouldn't be an infinite loop though. You could edit a command manually.
GMorgan
LXF regular

RE: stupid question

Postby Rhakios » Sat May 06, 2006 3:36 pm

Unless you set the delay to zero, or perhaps just short enough to make someone think they can select a different option, but not quite.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: stupid question

Postby GMorgan » Sat May 06, 2006 5:58 pm

Rhakios wrote:Unless you set the delay to zero, or perhaps just short enough to make someone think they can select a different option, but not quite.

Most computers I've tried will use commands issued before grub comes up though. If I have to leave during boot I will simply press the power button then hit up and down a few times then when I come back Grub will have paused allowing me to chose.
GMorgan
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: stupid question

Postby Rhakios » Sat May 06, 2006 8:03 pm

I can't say I've tried that with either grub or lilo. I think we should just let pins try it and let us know. But from your post, it seems he will have to use lilo.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Re: RE: stupid question

Postby jjmac » Fri May 19, 2006 11:02 am

>>
if you wanted to do something really stupid, would it be possible to set up grub/lilo to chain load grub/lilo from another drive, which was only set up to chain load the loader from the first drive,
>>

Of course (grin). Iv'e had that set up for a few months now. But there other options included as well. If i'm bored i can just select and jump between lilo and grub (yaaawn)(grin).

All things are possible for the insidiously inclined, and the young at heart :)

I also mistakenly had the wrong root directory configured in my lilo.conf file once. I think it was for ubunto but can't remenber. It was kinda funny, because i was using the same home directory and as i do all my personal stuff in seperate partitions that can be mounted cross distro, i didn't even notice for a week or so (grin)

jm
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed !
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Fri May 26, 2006 9:34 am

i'm not an expert but, isn't this computer related chat? shouldn't the moderators remove this post?
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby nelz » Fri May 26, 2006 9:58 am

No, you're not. Yes, it is. Yes, they should. No, they won't ;-)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby moAlleyCat » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:51 pm

If you wanted to do something really stupid, would it be possible to totally smack your computer up with a baseball bat?
moAlleyCat

Postby jjmac » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:44 pm

>>
If you wanted to do something really stupid, would it be possible to totally smack your computer up with a baseball bat?
>>

It would seem more so after you calmed down later, i would think :).

It's not really a stupid idea either. It can be a fun/revealing way to test the flexibilities that are available, but often just aren't put to use. If a person dosen't muck/experiment around with facilities then all they can do really, is just missread the docs. Or be limited to the extent that the documentation explaination/description decides to go.

Changing the root mount can be fun too, in loader configs. As long as the appropriate module dir is copied over it usually can be done with out much notice. I usually have most of my kernel stuff builtin, except for common things like filesystems, so they tend to all get referenced by the module configs anyway.

Madness with purpose becomes not, so to speak :)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Return to Off Topic