Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Many Distros Have You Tried?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Many Distros Have You Tried?
1-5
22%
 22%  [ 10 ]
6-10
34%
 34%  [ 15 ]
More than 10
43%
 43%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 44

tommohawk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: How Many Distros Have You Tried? Reply with quote

Maybe its because I am still on a voyage of discovery with Linux but it seems to be the case that I re-partition my hard drive and install a new distro every week!

I am currently using PCLinuxOS and I must say that I am impressed so far. It was easy to install and configure (even on my Laptop!) and most things work just fine.

Thing is, I am currently on about my 10th distro in as many weeks! Is this normal or am I just easily bored (or a geek!).

Registered Linux User 420262
Registered Ubuntu User 19060
drws
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: RE: How Many Distros Have You Tried? Reply with quote

more than 10 for me. My job sorta means I get paid to follow the 'scene' and try as many as possible.
This weeks flavour is ubuntu, gentoo was a nice ride a while back, and slackware is always worth keeping an eye on. (as well as the BSDs)
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: RE: How Many Distros Have You Tried? Reply with quote

I've currently got 14 installed in VMware virtual machines, plus the host Gentoo installation. I've tried a few more besides Smile
Huw
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: RE: How Many Distros Have You Tried? Reply with quote

I've been using Linux since January and have probably tried close to 20 distros. I have two hard drives and I have created a couple of test partitions on the second one for the sole purpose of housing new distros with which to experiment.

Installing Linux is fun!
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: RE: How Many Distros Have You Tried? Reply with quote

In Linux I've tried Slack, Gentoo, Fedora Core, Ubuntu, Mepis and OpenSUSE.

I've also tried Syllable, FreeBSD and Solaris.

That makes 8 in total though I didn't spend long on Solaris, Slack or SUSE TBH.
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: RE: How Many Distros Have You Tried? Reply with quote

8 up to now - Slackware, RedHat, SuSE, Topologolinux, Knoppix, SmoothWall, Fedora & Ubuntu.
Some I liked, some I didn't, but I always seem to end up coming back to SuSE.
Plus I've used many commercial flavours of Unix (inc. Solaris, AIX, Ultrix, OSF, CLIX, IRIX, HPUX & OS-X)

I'll shortly be taking the next big step towards becoming a real geek & installing Gentoo Very Happy
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: RE: How Many Distros Have You Tried? Reply with quote

I've used Mandriva & Ubunto long term, investigated Fedora, Suse & Gentoo for a while, and use Knoppix for diagnostics every time I've rendered my system unbootable Smile

Also fiddled with Slackware, Yellowdog & a few others in the very early days.
marco
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I started with Slackware in 1998 and moved to SUSE a couple of months later. Didn't like SUSE, tried RedHat and finally stopped using Linux for a while. A few years later I bought Mandrake and really liked it, however I was not happy with their package manager. Never understood why you nned two different applications to install and remove packages - Synaptic is so much easier to use.

I tried basically every major distribution such as Mandriva, Fedora, Zenwalk, Kanotix, Centos, OpenSUSE, Debian Sarge/Testing/Unstable, Ark Linux, Arch Linux and Slackware.

Currently I am using Ubuntu and Gentoo, however my favourite system is Ubuntu since I am a huge Gnome fan.

Marco
towy71

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: RE: How Many Distros Have You Tried? Reply with quote

Suse from 6 up, Mandrake 6 up, Redhat 3 up, Definite, storm, turbolinux, corel, slack 3.1up(inc zenwalk, zipsalck etc, debian 2 up, ubuntu 5.04 up, linuxfromscratch(failed), gentoo(ditto), Smoothwall, IpCop, yoper, DSL, Knoppix.
Still doing stupid things though Wink
marco
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Still doing stupid things though

I think we all do Smile
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marco wrote:
Currently I am using Ubuntu and Gentoo, however my favourite system is Ubuntu since I am a huge Gnome fan.Marco

What has your preferred DE got to do with distro choices? Almost all distros offer a choice of KDE, GNOME or a dozen others, although some do tend to bas^H^H^Hcustomise KDE and GNOME.
tommohawk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite interesting you know. A friend said to me last Saturday (when I mentioned I was running Linux) that I really was a geek. Now I don't think I am, maybe just curious as to what else is out there other than Windows.

You can get so bored with an OS such as Windows but with the almost infinite possibilities that OpenSource software has, I can't see myself ever becoming bored with Linux, whatever flavour it comes in!

I like OpenSuSe but I have been unable to get it to work properly o my laptop. I am just trying to download the latest released version of 10.1 (the beta didn't work) to see if it will work now - I hope so but otherwise I might just stick with PCLinuxOS until the released version of Ubuntu 6.06 comes out next month (the beta worked great).

Who knows - I might even learn how to code....... hmm now that is a challenge (for me anyway!)

Registered Linux User 420262
Registered Ubuntu User 19060
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommohawk wrote:

You can get so bored with an OS such as Windows but with the almost infinite possibilities that OpenSource software has, I can't see myself ever becoming bored with Linux, whatever flavour it comes in!

I think that in Joe Public's eyes that qualifies you as a geek. Most people (90%+ ?) out there treat their PC as they would their Hi-Fi, they want to turn it on and use it to do XYZ, they are not interested in how/why it does what it does. By showing an interest in the OS you're like the audiophiles who get all excited about frequency response ranges and gold plated speaker contacts!

Face the facts you're a geek, and so are the rest of us on here.
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably more besides, but these are the ones of the top of my head......since 2000

arch
ark
centos
crux
debian
DSL
dynebolic
fedora
gentoo
kanotix
knoppix
kubuntu
linspire
mandrake
mepis
pc linux os
redhat
slackware
suse
turbolinux
ubuntu
Vector
xandros
xubuntu
zenwalk

Slackware is the only distro I've stuck with.
GeoNorth

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marco wrote:
Hi,

I started with Slackware in 1998 and moved to SUSE a couple of months later. Didn't like SUSE, tried RedHat and finally stopped using Linux for a while. A few years later I bought Mandrake and really liked it, however I was not happy with their package manager. Never understood why you nned two different applications to install and remove packages - Synaptic is so much easier to use.

I tried basically every major distribution such as Mandriva, Fedora, Zenwalk, Kanotix, Centos, OpenSUSE, Debian Sarge/Testing/Unstable, Ark Linux, Arch Linux and Slackware.

Currently I am using Ubuntu and Gentoo, however my favourite system is Ubuntu since I am a huge Gnome fan.

Marco

I have Kubuntu which is basically Ubuntu with added KDE goodness, a quick serach in Adept brings up a fair few window managers and desktop environments, one search for ubuntu-dektop later and I have Ubuntised version of not just KDE, but also GNOME and XFCE...

...and from that I learcned that XFCE can be nifty in places but KDE's the best (probably because I'm used to it, the other distros I've tried are Knoppix and Kanotix so you could say my Linux journey hasn't ranged that far and wide)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: