Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modem Connection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acraigon

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Modem Connection Reply with quote

I am having a little difficulty getting my serial modem working with Mandriva 2005 and Suse 9.2.. Modem attached to /dev/ttsy0. The modem dials out and connects and waits for a prompt.

Serial onection established
renamed interface ppp0 to modem0
using interface modem0
modem hangup
connection terminated
terminated signal 15

Anyone got any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Modem Connection Reply with quote

With SuSE 9.2, have you enabled stupid mode - that's not an insult, it's an option in YaST's set up, when you get to the Connection Parameters section. Spontaneous hang-ups are a symptom of not using it.
sirrondach

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Modem Connection Reply with quote

I'm not too sure exactly where your modem connection is falling over, but are you using kppp as the dialler? If so, before clicking on connect, click on configure then modems then device and set modem device to /dev/tty0 instead of /dev/modem0 if that is what is there now.

Another cause of unexpected terminations like yours is the handshaking (authentication) protocol you have set for your ISP connection. Make sure this is corectly set for your particular ISp - usually PAP/CHAP will do but some require a login script to be run.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: