Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggested.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do we need more emoticons?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
No - we have enough as it is.
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Let's do away with words, and grunt and grimace at each other like our simian ancestors.
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Get rid of emoticons and employ only finely-crafted words, expressing the subtleties of human feeling.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Dunno
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Other - specify
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggested. Reply with quote

A few days ago an idea arose in a thread of mine, started after I had accidentally trashed a bootloader, having consumed a couple of glasses of a particularly fine Rioja. (It was only two - honest.) The idea was that we should have an emoticon for – how shall I put it - ‘too weary to be working on a computer’. But there has been a deafening silence from the site admins and I have been encouraged in this idea only by towy71. Thanks Towy.

So – courtesy of the GIMP, I offer the following variations:

1: 2: 3: 4: 5:

Personally, I think no4 looks as though he has spent too much time in the more disreputable parts of the internet, but what do you think?

Then, when I was working on these, Edvard Munch’s ‘The Scream’ hove into my thoughts. Using that as inspiration I came up with:

1: 2: 3:

I prefer no1. It could be useful for forum members when a certain piscine regular starts a new thread – from about the fourth page or thereabouts.

Please feel free to improve on these images. I’m no artist, but be warned – you have very few pixels to play with. It’s quite difficult. Enjoy.
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggested. Reply with quote

I like no 5 for "too weary to be working at a computer". It's how I feel after an all-night coding session Wink
I also like the idea for the "scream" - no 1 is my favourite here.

But... emoticons need to be a) obvious in their meaning and b) easy to remember the keystrokes for, otherwise they only serve to confuse the message. And they are no substitute for well-crafted words (which is why I resort to them Wink)
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggested. Reply with quote

Easy, we already have the colon bracketed smilies, now all that is needed is to add :pissed: and :scream: Very Happy
towy71

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggested. Reply with quote

No4 for gets my vote for "tired and emotional" and scream no1
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggested. Reply with quote

LOL

No.4 & No.1
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: RE: Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggested. Reply with quote

Can you do an animated one with a smilie smashing up with an axe one of those silly symbols they place second from the left on the bottom row of the standard 105 key keyboard or do we have one along those lines already.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: RE: Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggested. Reply with quote

No. 1 of The Scream is the best IMHO. Now if you can make emoticons of some of the disturbed creatures in Bosch's creations, I'll definitely put them up Smile

eg http://www.artdamage.com/bosch/graphics/pointright.gif

M
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggested. Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
if you can make emoticons of some of the disturbed creatures in Bosch's creations, I'll definitely put them up Smile

Right, you're on! Might take a couple of weeks or more, but watch this space. (Oh no, what have I let myself in for? )

GMorgan, I thought of animated ones, but I haven't learnt how to do that yet. What with trying to become a latter-day Bosch, Gentoo (you've a lot to answer for! Very Happy Wink ), learning HTML coding and a load of other things, I don't know where I'll find the time. I do have to eat after all.

btw, only 2 votes cast so far. A bit disappointing. Perhaps I shouldn't have started the thread on 1st April. It's meant to be light-hearted, but it's not a spoof. Can you encourage some others to vote? Ta.
towy71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggested. Reply with quote

spottedcat wrote:
btw, only 2 votes cast so far. A bit disappointing. Perhaps I shouldn't have started the thread on 1st April. It's meant to be light-hearted, but it's not a spoof. Can you encourage some others to vote? Ta.

I thought got more than two votes
and is very good too

um does this count as another vote Wink
TheDoctor
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggested. Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
spottedcat wrote:

I thought got more than two votes
and is very good too

um does this count as another vote Wink

Checking "View Results" at the top, apparently not. I think you have to actually submit a vote in the poll for it to count. The mesage board software doesn't seem sophisticated enough to read the posted text Smile
towy71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggested. Reply with quote

Aye I blame my impending senility
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggested. Reply with quote

Looks like my emoticons are being used anyway - with or without the blessing of the site admins.
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggested. Reply with quote

Some forums have corkers. I especially like these ones.

- "Oh. Dear. Me."

- "Oooooh Kaaaaay..."

- (I dunno. It's just funny.)

- (Self-explanatory.)
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggested. Reply with quote

Lol definitely number 3 and number 1. They could come in fairly useful as long as the keystrokes (for the pissed one in particular) arent two complex or are at least relevant to the situation
:pissed: for example should probably become :ifancyakebab: and scream maybe :nomoreplease: having said that I'd probably still forget them, but as long as they are on the side bar of the post a reply Im sure ill get them into my skull eventually Wink
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Do we need more emoticons? Examples suggeste Reply with quote

Nobber wrote:
- (Self-explanatory.)

Call me out of touch, but can someone explain: why dayton?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: