Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bose noise-reduction headphones

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> LXF Blog Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Bose noise-reduction headphones Reply with quote

Paul, I hope you will report back in due course on the Bose headphones. I have been considering buying a pair but held back (a) because they are a bit expensive; and (b) I am not sure whether they will be suitable for what I want them for - not using on a plane but for use on trains and buses where the constant chatter of people around you can be very distracting. I am not sure whether the noise-reduction is intended to deal with this sort of noise. It certainly didn't work with the Sennheiser pair I bought a little while ago and ended up returning them because I could still hear voices all around me exactly the same as if I had been using standard (ie with no noise reduction) closed-back headphones.
pofadda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Bose noise-reduction headphones Reply with quote

Someone's tuppence worth:
My wife, who is enraged by others' talking, phoning, tinny Walkman-sounds, etc. splashed out on a pair of tiny Etymotic 'noise reducing' ear bud things. She loves them and has done so for easily 3 years now. She hears HER music and not others'.

I looked closely at the little things - they fit deep in the ear with a pair of gaskets sealing out the sound. I can see nowhere any clever actual noise-cancelling circuitry could fit... I think their effectiveness comes from the neat ear-piece design. Which is a bit of a cheat when you see their price...

But if you want peace, you pay for it, i suppose.

I'll go away now.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

Well, I'm pleased to see that you are more than happy with the headphones and that they are extremely effective in cutting out aircraft noise. I'm just wondering though if they are any good at reducing sounds which are not a steady continuous tone like aircraft drone. For instance, people talking around you, or noise from a TV set if you are trying to listen to music using the phones in the same room. Have you by any chance tried them in that sort of environment?

Great photos by the way. Really enjoyed looking at them. And I loved the bit about Bill Oddie (as did my husband, a keen birdwatcher). Mr O shouldn't go round looking so dishevelled, should he. Laughing
Hudzilla
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headphones do a fairly poor job with people speaking. They are hard to hear because the headphones' padding muffles sounds, rather than the noise cancelling doing anything clever. That said, if I wear them while listening to music, it's quite dangerous - you can only just hear the traffic around you, so you need to be on your guard.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> LXF Blog Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: