Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptop Batteries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommohawk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Laptop Batteries Reply with quote

Why is it that my laptop battery lasts about twice as long under Linux than under Windows?

It's not that I am looking for answers, its just I am a bit curious? Is Linux really that that much more efficient (in terms of processor usage etc) that it just uses fewer system resources and hence less power?

Well, maybe not twice as long but certainly significantly longer!

Registered Linux User 420262
Registered Ubuntu User 19060
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: RE: Laptop Batteries Reply with quote

Alternatively it could just be that Linux warns you of a low battery later than Windows. I noticed the same thing when i first got my laptop, though I couldn't say how big the gap is as I havent had Windows on here in a long time, something that I am incredibly pleased about Very Happy
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: RE: Laptop Batteries Reply with quote

It could be using different power-saving schemes to Windows. When I installed Ubuntu on my new laptop, it defaulted to spinning down the hard drive after 5 seconds of inactivity! A bit aggressive methinks -- and also very annoying. Every time I did something that touched the disc, it'd take a few seconds to spin up. Sorted that out with hdparm -S Smile

M
roeleboel

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Laptop Batteries Reply with quote

Mike,

that hdparm -S thing, do you set that like this:
sudo hdparm -S=241 hda (for 1/2 hour waiting)? The man page is not very clear about this.

regards
Roel
roeleboel

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Laptop Batteries Reply with quote

Already found it:
sudo hdparm -S 241 /dev/hda Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: