Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help creating linux ftp server please...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
activedaemon

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: help creating linux ftp server please... Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm currently tryin to make an ftp server in linux to share stuff with other people through the net, it will have bout 500GB and would like to know how to "build" it and witch distro is best for this kind of action. I was thinking maybe of vector linux or maybe slackware. please send it to my email at:

activedaemon@gmail.com

thnx!

Please join my group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux_dot3/
Question
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: RE: help creating linux ftp server please... Reply with quote

Any distro would be suitable for this. Most of them come with a choice of FTP servers. ProFTPd and vsftpd are popular choices.

As you asked on the forum, that is where I replied, to leave the thread publically accessible. If you register an account on this site, you'll get an email whenever anyone responds to your posts.
activedaemon

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Thnx a lot Reply with quote

thanx for the reply, if you also know any programs that would help me administer or settings to get better profit of my ftp network please be my guest!

thanx again! Cool
nwirth

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Thnx a lot Reply with quote

I'd use webmin for remotely administering ftp. I don't think it's anything wrong about vsftpd, but I used ProFTPd before and I got it fairly well configured in a short period of time. And I'd use Debian for this - mainly because it's solid and easy to maintain. Important questions you will have to know the answer to are:
- do you allow anonymous ftp or user / passwd login? do you need sftp, maybe?
- do you allow uploads?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: