Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Release Candidate Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
towy71

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Release Candidate Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Reply with quote

On Thursday Matt Zimmerman announced release candidate for Ubuntu 6.06 see HERE. He asks breezy users to upgrade for testing. Cool Cool
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Release Candidate Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Reply with quote

Got it yesterday, Towy. Very impressive. I'm posting from a wobbly window even now! For those interested in how to get xgl working in Dapper, here are links for nvidia, ATI and AMD64.

Updates are arriving thick and fast so do you think that by the time the final release appears, a fully updated rc installation will be the same?

Edit: reading between the lines of your link I think the answer is yes.

Edit 2: Should've known that really - Ubuntu being an orangey-brown debian, 'n-all. Smile
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Release Candidate Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Reply with quote

Talking about the orange theme. It is much improved on the old brown. It doesn´t depress you so much now.
marco
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated my system yesterday to 6.06 and I am very impressed with the new look and feel. There are many new features included and it is pretty stable - no crashes so far.

Ubuntu is for me the best Linux available right now.
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it installed on an Acer TM800 laptop. Works great, even the wireless (Fedora had issues with the Intel wireless). I may keep Ubuntu on it.
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty nice, although Evolution freaked and refused to sync mail, a quick google and it was sorted. The system monitor and gnome terminal still seem to hog memory and cpu power, but most poeple probably wont notice that.
Firestarter refused to upgrade because I had moved from ppp0 to eth0, 300MB of updates! :O

The system is impressive enough that I would seriously consider it for main system. If it weren't for nautilus (and possibly QT apps). I wouldn't want to run any QT based stuff, to keep libs down, I can stomach that. But nautilus isn't a patch on konqueror.
Yes I want tabs, yes I want to be able to have web tab, ftp tabs, smb tabs, filesystem tabs all up at the same time. I want to have changeable plugabble sidebars. When I highlight directories and files then right click I want a truck load of options to do stuff, convert to... email to... send to... scan with...svn update... etc Does it do profiles?
Nautlius is far to basic.

I guess for 9/10 people its great, but nautilus is too annoying for me. Smile
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 5.10 Kubuntu system - did a sed on my sources.list, apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.

Hehe... no X. No KDM. startx gave me a terminal. So needless to say, I've spent the afternoon reinstalling 5.10 so mum can "get her emails" again Smile

It was only after this that I read the thread on the Ubuntu forums titled "Don't use Dapper as your primary desktop/OS" Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig
if you read the page you would see that breezy users are urged to try this out and if you want to upgrade via the cli
Code:
* Because this is the Release Candidate, you need to invoke the
   update manager explicitly.  To do this, press Alt-F2 (or open
   a Terminal using Applications -> Accessories ->Terminal)

gksudo "update-manager -d"

This step will not be necessary on the final release.

more haste less speed Wink
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh! Thanks Smile Might try it out on a testing machine later or something. Breezy setup, KMail restored and printer working.

My boss used to say that to me as well... perhaps we was right afterall Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: