Latest OpenSUSE 10.1 on next LXF

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

OpenSUSE 10.1 on the next LXF issue

Poll ended at Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:44 pm

YES
68%
NO
32%

Total votes : 22

Latest OpenSUSE 10.1 on next LXF

Postby tranceash » Tue May 23, 2006 12:44 pm

Any chance of getting the latest opensuse 10.1 on the next June or July LXF issue.
Also setup guides to XGL on ATI cards especially on old cards like ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 Lf [FireGL 9000] (rev 01).
tranceash

RE: Latest OpenSUSE 10.1 on next LXF

Postby Rhakios » Tue May 23, 2006 7:04 pm

As Mike has denied it, I think we can expect SuSE10.1 on issue 81. ;)

You might notice that I suggested that SuSE would be on issue 82, then he said it wouldn't be on 81, which means it probably will be.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Latest OpenSUSE 10.1 on next LXF

Postby towy71 » Tue May 23, 2006 8:16 pm

lovely touch of reverse logic there, we all bow to genius ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby TheDoctor » Tue May 23, 2006 8:35 pm

The journalist Claud Cockburn advised Richard Ingrams, when he was first setting up Private Eye, "Believe nothing until it is officially denied".
TheDoctor
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue May 23, 2006 9:11 pm

Well, it either will be or it won't. I've already downloaded it, so it won't make much difference to me, but I seem to recall LXF (was it Mike back then, or still nelz?) did a pretty good job with SuSE10.0, so no doubt we'll be getting plenty of complaints on the forum (more of yer logic there towy).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby M-Saunders » Wed May 24, 2006 10:15 am

SUSE 10.1 will not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not be on the next issue. So, will it or won't it? :-)

*waits for someone to parse that*

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed May 24, 2006 10:28 am

too many double negatives there Mikey! So I will look forward to ultimate disappointment :D
towy71

Postby nelz » Wed May 24, 2006 11:59 am

Code: Select all
$ echo "SUSE 10.1 will not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not be on the next issue." | tr \  \\n | grep -c not

An even number of nots, so they cancel each other out :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby spottedcat » Wed May 24, 2006 1:32 pm

nelz wrote:An even number of nots, so they cancel each other out :)

Well....... The Cambridge Encyclopedia of The English Language, 2nd edition, by David Crystal:

This construction (double negative) is ... now common in nonstandard speech throughout the world. Traditional grammarians condemn it on logical grounds - that the two negatives cancel each other out, as minus signs would in mathematics. However, in nonstandard usage a different criterion applies: here extra negative forms add emphasis. They haven't done nothing means 'They really haven't done anything' and not 'They have done something'.

So the question is: Was Mike using a standard or nonstandard form of the multiple negative? And we still don't know whether he's going to put SuSE 10.1 on the next DVD - not never not nohow. :wink:

Note - distressingly, for a Cambridge University Press book, it is Encyclopedia and not Encyclopaedia. :(
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed May 24, 2006 2:17 pm

wie a proper dictionary yer gets both on em OED :lol:
towy71

Postby TheDoctor » Wed May 24, 2006 3:52 pm

spottedcat wrote:
nelz wrote:An even number of nots, so they cancel each other out :)

Well....... The Cambridge Encyclopedia of The English Language, 2nd edition, by David Crystal:

This construction (double negative) is ... now common in nonstandard speech throughout the world. Traditional grammarians condemn it on logical grounds - that the two negatives cancel each other out, as minus signs would in mathematics. However, in nonstandard usage a different criterion applies: here extra negative forms add emphasis. They haven't done nothing means 'They really haven't done anything' and not 'They have done something'.

So the question is: Was Mike using a standard or nonstandard form of the multiple negative? And we still don't know whether he's going to put SuSE 10.1 on the next DVD - not never not nohow. :wink:

Note - distressingly, for a Cambridge University Press book, it is Encyclopedia and not Encyclopaedia. :(

In the Knight's Tale, Chaucer uses a quadruple negative, for extreme emphasis. The idea that double negatives cancel one another out is an importation of Latin grammar into English by Victorian pseuds like Thomas Arnold.

I'm glad to see that the folks at CUP know how to spell "Encylopedia". :)
TheDoctor
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed May 24, 2006 3:59 pm

When double negatives are used for emphasis, they are generally two different negatives, as in "there ain't no way...". Mike was clearly trying to confuse the issue with cancelling negatives, maybe he's after a job in subscriptions :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Rhakios » Wed May 24, 2006 4:45 pm

Ah, but was this a use of double negatives, or simply an even number of single negatives? In any event, I'm inclined to think SuSE10.1 will be on a cover DVD by issue 82 at the latest :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Hello » Wed May 24, 2006 5:12 pm

I think I will wait for that issue before downloading it as I am fairly happy with my 10.0 at the moment. Please keep me informed when the mag with it on gets released
Hello
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Wed May 24, 2006 6:44 pm

They can't put it on the issue after. Dapper will be out by then so all bets are off. ;) It's looking prettier by the hour as new updates roll in.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Next

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs