Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest OpenSUSE 10.1 on next LXF
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

OpenSUSE 10.1 on the next LXF issue
YES
68%
 68%  [ 15 ]
NO
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 22

tranceash

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Latest OpenSUSE 10.1 on next LXF Reply with quote

Any chance of getting the latest opensuse 10.1 on the next June or July LXF issue.
Also setup guides to XGL on ATI cards especially on old cards like ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 Lf [FireGL 9000] (rev 01).
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Latest OpenSUSE 10.1 on next LXF Reply with quote

As Mike has denied it, I think we can expect SuSE10.1 on issue 81. Wink

You might notice that I suggested that SuSE would be on issue 82, then he said it wouldn't be on 81, which means it probably will be.
towy71

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Latest OpenSUSE 10.1 on next LXF Reply with quote

lovely touch of reverse logic there, we all bow to genius Wink
TheDoctor
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The journalist Claud Cockburn advised Richard Ingrams, when he was first setting up Private Eye, "Believe nothing until it is officially denied".
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it either will be or it won't. I've already downloaded it, so it won't make much difference to me, but I seem to recall LXF (was it Mike back then, or still nelz?) did a pretty good job with SuSE10.0, so no doubt we'll be getting plenty of complaints on the forum (more of yer logic there towy).
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUSE 10.1 will not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not be on the next issue. So, will it or won't it? Smile

*waits for someone to parse that*

M
towy71

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too many double negatives there Mikey! So I will look forward to ultimate disappointment Very Happy
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
$ echo "SUSE 10.1 will not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not be on the next issue." | tr \  \\n | grep -c not

An even number of nots, so they cancel each other out Smile
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:

Well....... The Cambridge Encyclopedia of The English Language, 2nd edition, by David Crystal:

Quote:
This construction (double negative) is ... now common in nonstandard speech throughout the world. Traditional grammarians condemn it on logical grounds - that the two negatives cancel each other out, as minus signs would in mathematics. However, in nonstandard usage a different criterion applies: here extra negative forms add emphasis. They haven't done nothing means 'They really haven't done anything' and not 'They have done something'.

So the question is: Was Mike using a standard or nonstandard form of the multiple negative? And we still don't know whether he's going to put SuSE 10.1 on the next DVD - not never not nohow. Wink

Note - distressingly, for a Cambridge University Press book, it is Encyclopedia and not Encyclopaedia. Sad
towy71

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wie a proper dictionary yer gets both on em OED Laughing
TheDoctor
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedcat wrote:
nelz wrote:

Well....... The Cambridge Encyclopedia of The English Language, 2nd edition, by David Crystal:

Quote:
This construction (double negative) is ... now common in nonstandard speech throughout the world. Traditional grammarians condemn it on logical grounds - that the two negatives cancel each other out, as minus signs would in mathematics. However, in nonstandard usage a different criterion applies: here extra negative forms add emphasis. They haven't done nothing means 'They really haven't done anything' and not 'They have done something'.

So the question is: Was Mike using a standard or nonstandard form of the multiple negative? And we still don't know whether he's going to put SuSE 10.1 on the next DVD - not never not nohow. Wink

Note - distressingly, for a Cambridge University Press book, it is Encyclopedia and not Encyclopaedia. Sad

In the Knight's Tale, Chaucer uses a quadruple negative, for extreme emphasis. The idea that double negatives cancel one another out is an importation of Latin grammar into English by Victorian pseuds like Thomas Arnold.

I'm glad to see that the folks at CUP know how to spell "Encylopedia". Smile
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When double negatives are used for emphasis, they are generally two different negatives, as in "there ain't no way...". Mike was clearly trying to confuse the issue with cancelling negatives, maybe he's after a job in subscriptions Smile
Rhakios

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but was this a use of double negatives, or simply an even number of single negatives? In any event, I'm inclined to think SuSE10.1 will be on a cover DVD by issue 82 at the latest Smile
Hello
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will wait for that issue before downloading it as I am fairly happy with my 10.0 at the moment. Please keep me informed when the mag with it on gets released
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't put it on the issue after. Dapper will be out by then so all bets are off. Wink It's looking prettier by the hour as new updates roll in.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: