Nice ads Apple

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Nice ads Apple

Postby spottedcat » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:07 pm

Just thought forum members might like to see the GetaMac adverts. I haven't seen them showing here in the UK, but I don't watch much telly anyway. I like "Restarting" best, with "Viruses" a close second. What about you?

They play nicely in Mplayer, but although they stream OK in Ubuntu with the mozilla-mplayer plugin installed, I had to download each file in SuSE 10.0 because the mplayerplug-in wouldn't stream. :?

Enjoy :lol:
spottedcat
LXF regular

RE: Nice ads Apple

Postby GMorgan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:30 pm

Quicktime 7 is required to view this add grr.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby spottedcat » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:39 pm

No it isn't, honestly. They really do play well in Mplayer. Are you using Ubuntu? Enable the multiverse repository and get mplayer and mozilla-mplayer and whatever else seems useful. Kaffeine also plays them OK. Ignore whatever the webpage is telling you. In Ubuntu the first ad just streamed without me doing anything (see my first post) but in SuSE I was told that I needed Quicktime - presumably the webpage detected I didn't have a working streaming video player. But I downloaded the video files in SuSE and they play OK.

Edit: Play OK in Xine as well, but not in Totem. Mplayer, xine, kaffeine - take your pick. :)
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:03 pm

I'm using Totem-xine at the moment. I will see if theres a way around with loading a million players.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:12 pm

It's working now, just flashgotted it.

I have some very cool apps that are bundled with me :mrgreen:

It's a pity they say PC rather than Windows.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:13 pm

Yes, works for me with mozilla-mplayer in Ubuntu as well. :D
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Hello » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:59 am

Macs are one thing I never did like they were too expensive for what they were. O would actually prefer Windows to a mac.
Hello
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:36 pm

Hello wrote:Macs are one thing I never did like they were too expensive for what they were.

Only in the same way that a Rolls Royce is too expensive for what it is... ;)
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby spottedcat » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:59 pm

Hello wrote:Macs are one thing I never did like they were too expensive for what they were. O would actually prefer Windows to a mac.

When did you last look at a Mac? Someone showed me one of the new Intel powered Macbooks recently. The white ones are £749 or £899 - not much more than a good-quality Windows laptop of similar spec when you think about it. (The black one is expensive. The extra £130 gets you another 20G on the hd and - wait for it - a black case.)

What really impressed me was the seamless integration of classy hardware and very polished software. I'd be tempted to get myself a Mac mini (there's a spare channel on my kvm switch just waiting to be used) but for one thing; it all works too well. I'd be wanting to tinker and there'd be no point. I'd get bored. :)
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:26 pm

spottedcat wrote:I'd be tempted to get myself a Mac mini (there's a spare channel on my kvm switch just waiting to be used) but for one thing; it all works too well. I'd be wanting to tinker and there'd be no point. I'd get bored. :)

Well, you could try running NetBSD on it, or some really obscure OS :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:48 pm

The thing I have against buying a Mac is if I'm going to make a money no object purchase I'd go for a SPARC machine over a Macbook. True theres a big difference in price between them (I think you can get SPARC laptops for about £2500) but somebody compared a Mac to a Rolls Royce so I had to go one bigger :mrgreen: .
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:00 pm

oy oy behave ;-) I have a ancient latitude with keyboard problems, you're making me drool which won't help the ssticky aforementioned grrrrrr
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby M0PHP » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:20 pm

Why pay through the nose for an Apple Crap when you could get an Evesham/AOpen Mini PC "components" for a lot less? :roll:
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:31 pm

Because a) you aren't paying through the nose any more and b) the Mac mini actually works.

It's the same reason people buy Lenovo or Sony PCs when they can get a no-name one from PC World for much less - they're better quality.
Or the same reason you might buy a Jaguar instead of a Mondeo.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:13 pm

These arguments are still why I back building the machine from scratch. Given the markup and the fact most of their machines are anachronisms buying from PC World is a bad idea irrespective.

A top quality PC is as good as a Mac (and quite frankly is little different bar a few cynical hardware locks these days). I'd still like to see Apple compete in the general PC market. Locking the technology to a small machine base is dodging the problem :wink: .
GMorgan
LXF regular

Next

Return to Other OS