Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GDM and password expiration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: GDM and password expiration Reply with quote

I Recently upgraded my Slackware installation to 10.1 and started using GDM as my display manager. Turns out that GDM is pretty nice, I have even been messing with making my own custom theme!

Anyway, today I came across something VERY odd. I have a password policy in place that forces the users on my pc to change their password every month (plain good practice). However, since installing 10.1 I had been aware that it seemed like a long time since I had been informed of my password expiring. Today I switched over to another console (ctrl + alt + f6) to kill a cedega app that had frozen, to my surprise, when I tried to log in I got a message saying "Your password is inactive. Contact the system administrator". Then when I logged out of my X session and tried to log back in my password worked! So basically my password HAD expired but GDM would allow me to log in anyway!

I didn't post this in the "help" section because I'm not really looking for a solution (I just going to switch back to KDM) but I thought it might be worth informing anyone else that uses GDM of the problem.

Dave.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: