Hot enough for you in the UK?

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Hot enough for you in the UK?

Postby donoreo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:47 pm

I hear that July 19 may be the hottest day on record. Wow. It is hot here in Toronto too (currently only 26 C at 2:40 PM) but it was 34C the other day.

How are you guys keeping cool and computing at the same time?
donoreo
LXF regular

RE: Hot enough for you in the UK?

Postby nelz » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:34 pm

Fans, lots of them.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Marrea » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:51 pm

Well I always knew you were popular, nelz, but this is ridiculous. :D :D
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby donoreo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:18 pm

I did see an article that stated that after last year and this year being hot air conditioners are becoming much more popular. Here every new house is built with central air conditioning now.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:24 pm

thats why the emissions of green house gases are so high :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby donoreo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:27 pm

Actually, 51% of Ontario's electricity is nuclear, they are closing all the coal plants in a few years. Cut emissions, deal with waste later seems to be our motto!
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:57 pm

donoreo wrote:Cut emissions, deal with waste later seems to be our motto!

That's the ticket. Dump the problem on the future generations. Bit like the Sykes-Picot agreement, really. :)
TheDoctor
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:32 pm

Not coping with heat at all, spent all day doing something which should take 1.5 hours. Stuck in office on 3rd floor, with 5ft high windows ALL the way round the building and NO air-con = 37c in office today. Luckily it cooled down to a chilly 33c by 17:30.

Must wear long sleeved shirt and trousers, NO shorts!

Drunk 6ltrs of water through day, went to loo once. (I know you didn't really want to know that, but you can now at least measure the perspiration :) )

Drove home, 70min journey, in car with no air-con, possibly ran over a few cyclists but wasn't really with it to be able to tell for sure ;)

Im English! I DONT do heat!!!

Not to mention the 6-10 mosquitoes I'm now going to have to kill before I can sleep without the constant high pitch bbbzzzzzzzzzz, then the stab.... A bit like wasps, they are frickin pointless creations.

Time to go commit genocide.
nordle
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:54 pm

nordle wrote:Time to go commit genocide.

Mosquitoes or cyclists?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby jjmac » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:01 pm

It's cold as over this way, antarctic winds from the south, ouch ...

Some thoughts:

If you get a bowl of water and place it in front of a fan, it will absorb extra heat from the air as it evaporates.

Also, drinking water can dilute your ion balance, as your losing things like potassium ions when you perspire. That dilution can weaken your system. Effecting the muscles and heart. It can lead to keeling over along with things like heart attacks. Something to watch for if your doing hard work in the sun, or other wise, as the instinct is to just drink.

A trick we used to use in building was to get a small slice of lemon peal and place it in the water bottle. Not so it is tasted. You only need a small slice. It would change the PH of the water in a way that helped you not to lose so much ion.

Result -- It prevented that tired sluggish feeling that comes with drinking to much water on a hot day, or when your working in the sun, i think they call it "water toxicity".

Another trick is to have a long sleave on your lower arm, moistened

Over this way we get shocking temperature/humidity combinations in summer at times. Heaps of people end up croaking as a result.

"Green house effects" -=- your not wrong. The next 50 years are going to be real interesting as i can remember a radio article that estimated that we will see definite signs within that period, ones that unforunately not easily reversable due to the system momentum/dynamics involved.

On a more cheery(sic) note (grin) -=- If you guys lose your ocean current. The one that comes up from the Atlantic, up through the west and swings around to the east, south of Iceland, then swings south and heads through the channel. It will be couitens for you guys :)

jm
Last edited by jjmac on Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:15 pm

Ahrrrr mossies. Iv'e done some reseach into mossies. They can be out smarted !

They can't really see you, but notice how they like to fly in formation. All seemingly peeling off towards a target in the same formation type way. They pick up on your CO2 trail from your breath. If you have a very low powered fan, that is, no noise so you can actually sleep as well ... and you direct its' stream so that your breath trace is disapated. Then the buggers can't figure out where you actually are. As the body breaths as well, it works better if the dispersal stream takes the whole cadarva (sic) into account as well. :)

jm
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby donoreo » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:27 am

Being Canadian, I know a bit about mosquitos. It is true, they follow the CO2 that you breath out. They have mosquito traps over here that produce by burning propane at low rates and then...uh, not sure how they work. If you are really curious, go to http://www.canadiantire.ca and search for mosquito and you will find one I am sure. Where our cottage (or cabin or whatever you want to call it) is in an area of central Ontario called Muskoka and we get some mosquitos!
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby TheDoctor » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:55 am

jjmac wrote:Over this way we get shocking temperature/humidity combinations in summer at times. Heaps of people end up croaking as a result.

Tell me about high humidity. It rained overnight in London, and now the humidity has shot up. I was enjoying the heat, but now it's starting to get uncomfortable.

jjmac wrote:On a more cheery(sic) note (grin) -=- If you guys lose your ocean current. The one that comes up from the Atlantic, up through the west and swings around to the east, south of Iceland, then swings south and heads through the channel. It will be couitens for you guys :)

You're right. And if anyone wants to know what it may be like without the Gulf Stream, Waskaganish is at more or less the same lattitude as London.
TheDoctor
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:21 am

Nothing that isn't known, i'm sure. But unfortunately, by the time the evidence is at a clinically acceptable level, by that i mean ... the resolutions are obvious enough that they can't be ignored ... it's to late. And 50 years isn't a long time.

A bit like a hot-air balloon descending towards the ocean in a way. The course adjustment needs to be anticipated before hand for it to adequately move through the system in time.

Aus is a really big offender/contributer to fossil emissions as well, unfortunately. We've had a really brain dead gov policy on all levels of R & D for decades now. The mind really boggles sometimes in that respect.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:37 am

We're having temps in the mid to high 20's here in Finland as well.
Though partly coz most we've got nigh 24hr daylight... But it's still hot!
Role on Febraury and -30ºC!
alloydog
LXF regular

Next

Return to Off Topic