Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something I never quite understood....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMcG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Something I never quite understood.... Reply with quote

If OS-X is based upon BSD, and BSD is based upon Unix just like Linux. Why don't Mac programs run on Linux? Surely only the tiniest bit of tweaking should be necessary?
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Something I never quite understood.... Reply with quote

Mac OS X isn't really 'based' on BSD -- it uses the Mach kernel with some BSD userland utilities and libraries.

BSD, Linux and Unix are similar operating systems, in that they generally adhere to certain standards and specifications (eg POSIX), but that doesn't make them compatible in every way. For instance, some Unix-like OSes run the X Window System for the GUI (eg FreeBSD and Linux), whereas Apple Mac OS X uses something else entirely.

So, in a nutshell, all Unix-like OSes share similar characteristics, and you can port simple command-line software between them very easily, but on the GUI level they sometimes have completely different frameworks.

M
GMcG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Something I never quite understood.... Reply with quote

Thanks!

Or should that be 'Bah'? Mr. Green
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Something I never quite understood.... Reply with quote

Maybe I shouldn't mention this, but windoze NT has it's roots in BSD.....

towy71

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Something I never quite understood.... Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
Maybe I shouldn't mention this, but windoze NT has it's roots in BSD.....

only the networking bits IIRC what they "borrowed" all cobbled together with bits of M$Dos code and tied with baler twine and sticky back plastic, and still the continuing basis of XPee
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Something I never quite understood.... Reply with quote

And even then, according to most sources the network stack has been almost/completely rewritten and doesn't contain any BSD code.

M
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Something I never quite understood.... Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
And even then, according to most sources the network stack has been almost/completely rewritten and doesn't contain any BSD code.

M
Who would know Wink
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Something I never quite understood.... Reply with quote

Why? Was it too secure?
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Something I never quite understood.... Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
Why? Was it too secure?
Who would know Wink
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Something I never quite understood.... Reply with quote

But then, MS would say that wouldn't they Smile
Net BSD was mentioned as the kernel basis in the foreword of "Networking NT4" -the book I used as a guide to set my first NT network up with, when we moved on from Novell, DOS and WFW.
Nostalgia- IIRC our first NT server was a pIII 250MHz with a massive 128Mb of ram and mirrored 8Gb disks- Installing SCSI on NT4 was not for the fainthearted.

jbennet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Something I never quite understood.... Reply with quote

well ms own some system v code dont they?
they had a licence to make Xenix afterall (yes, ms did make a unix once)

why dont they make a new, unixey windows
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Something I never quite understood.. Reply with quote

jbennet wrote:

why dont they make a new, unixey windows

Sure, why not, they've copied everything else Apple have ever done.
jbennet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Something I never quite understo Reply with quote

well really, whats to stop them, they can use opernsource bsd code or buy the real thing if they want to. You know what i reackon someday ms will make a linux distro and it will be bad so it will kill linux
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Something I never quite understo Reply with quote

jbennet wrote:
>>
well really, whats to stop them,
You know what i reackon someday ms will make a linux distro and it will be bad so it will kill linux
>>

Oh, i think it probably has crossed their minds Twisted Evil

Bill and his bouncing monkey, spend long hours at night, going over the gpl, and pondering while muttering to themselves ... 'damn, damn' ....

And go to sleep, with the rotational thought ... 'must remember to smile and be nice at the Linux expo this week ... damn, damn'

I'm not that great a fan of the bsd licence. I tend to think that not a lot of long term thought was put into it. You can basically do whatever you want except claim authorship. It doesn't require code visibility, and allows other licences to override itself, ... thus its' preference by proprietary companies i guess.

Big business, currently, seems to be going the way of absorbing, or rather, assimilating open source projects rather than trying to compete head on it would seem ... Novel anyone ....

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Something I never quite unde Reply with quote

jjmac wrote:

I'm not that great a fan of the bsd licence.

The BSD license is a great license. What sucks is the commercial world it has to survive in.

Quote:
Big business, currently, seems to be going the way of absorbing, or rather, assimilating open source projects rather than trying to compete head on it would seem ... Novel anyone ....

Big business can be part of the open source community if it wants. Who else is going to feed us? ... RedHat anyone....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: