Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Upgrade versus fresh install?
Upgrade
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Fresh install
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Another Distro
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Don`t bother, use what you've got for ever
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues.. Reply with quote

Upgrading to 9.3 from 9.2.
Virgin install great on athlon box.

So tried upgrading my Laptop- at end of first part of install Yast could not write the boot loader!
Did a fresh install -OK assumed it was the wierd partitioning on my IBM.

So to my desktop machine at home.
same problem.
Eventually figured out that it was LBA32 support not turned on in lilo.conf

but now..USB doesn`t work
dmesg gives me lots of these:

sym0:5:0:phase change 6-7 9@1f1cff84 resid=7

usb-uhci or ohci sare not loaded, but the kernel is compiled with usb support.

I suppose this is a warning against upgrading a stable system, but I just wanted to save the grief of reinstalling and reconfiguring loads of stuff.

The frustrating thing is that I backed everything up to a 160 Gb USB drive (sigh)

Any ideas?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: RE: SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues.. Reply with quote

Well, I always do fresh installs (though I usually keep /home), I also back up /etc then drop some of my customised config files back afterwards.
Although doing an upgrade is quicker in theory, when you do hit a problem with an upgrade you soon lose all the time you thought you might have saved.
I also noticed on the release notes that there were a variety of problems with the upgrade path, though not ones you mention.
towy71

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues.. Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
Although doing an upgrade is quicker in theory, .

I have been farting around ineffectually with linux for 7 or 8 years now and have found that the upgrade path is littered with potholes for the unwary, take it from me clean install is the only way. You must backup al config files and your home directory should be a separate partition.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues.. Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
I have been farting around ineffectually with linux for 7 or 8 years now and have found that the upgrade path is littered with potholes for the unwary, take it from me clean install is the only way.

That really depends on the distro you use. Gentoo never needs to be reinstalled, because it has rolling updates, a release is only a snapshot of the status at a particular time. Debian is similar in this respect. The likes of SUSE and FC (and lately Mandr{ake,iva}) are far more likely to barf on an update, although I went several years with only updates to Mandrake.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues Reply with quote

Update:
the sym0:5:0:phase change 6-7 9@1f1cff84 resid=7 message is apparently due to my (extremely old) Diamond Fireport SCSI card not being supported under the latest kernel.
This screwed the USB mounting etc.

Oh well, it hasn`t worked on windows since I went to XP anyway, and these days I only have a 100Mb Zip drive on it.
(Which I haven`t used in ages, come to think of it).

towy71

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: RE: SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues.. Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
Debian is similar in this respect. The likes of SUSE and FC (and lately Mandr{ake,iva}) are far more likely to barf on an update, although I went several years with only updates to Mandrake.

Sorry I should have said that the ineffectual faffing was mostly with SuSE, Mandrake and other "newbie friendly" distros.
<happy jig>Having recently got broadband I have managed to install Debian and update regularly no problem </happy jig> Laughing

Dick
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues Reply with quote

I should add that I finally gave up and did a fresh install , keeping /home, then recreated myself as a user using my old home directory. This worked, although trying it in the past (on various distros) has caused problems with KDE.
Worked fine, but the sym0 error remained until I pulled the SCSI card.
Apparently , there are also issues with (as I do) using a seperate /usr partition, which can cause usb mount problems.

What annoys me is that a system which was correctly configured and worked fine with suse 9.0 and 9.1, should be broken by an upgrade to 9.2.
The configuration was not changed, but the upgrade process tried to (incorrectly) alter it anyway.

Otherwise, after removing my old SCSI card, and updating suse, my USB devices all work well(even the pocket pc pda!!)
skecs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues Reply with quote

I went to do an upgrade from Suse 9.1 to Suse 9.2 (after changing from Red Hat 7.2 - 9.0) and looked at the dependencies error lists and decided that I'd do the clean install with /home just remounted (I also have a /data partition that just I remounted at the same time) as this is a simple process during the partitioning phase of a YaST install. I noticed that there were errors sometimes with KDE & Gnome, but these were preference files. Make sure you have exported your mail, bookmarks, all all of your logins/passwords etc and then just delete the .kde and .gnome files (and the .mozilla if you're having problems). These files are autogenerated when logging on. This is just the same as updating any OS - back-up your data and prevent any data loss.

towy71 - "Sorry I should have said that the ineffectual faffing was mostly with SuSE, Mandrake and other "newbie friendly" distros."

As for the GUI interface being for newbies - sometimes it is quicker with a GUI, sometimes it is quicker from the comand line - use the tool that makes life easier. This also applies to the Mac OS X, Linux web & proxy servers and Windows XP/Server 2000/Server 2003 network that I support as part of my job. Even Apple recognise this - they teach CLI as part of their certification courses including OS X 10.4 "Tiger" Workstation & Server that I'm certifying on at the moment.

As for reviews, reports and discussions about OS choices here are a few quotes:
"Windows is clearly going to be a dominant force, and will influence the future user interface ..."
and:
"No single computer, much less a single piece of software, can be all things to all people."
and:
"Life has become easier for users: now they can buy a modem, printer or other peripheral and plug it straight in; ... "

These are pretty common quotes floating around about Windows, Linux and Mac OS X by authors around the world. The first quote is from a review of Windows 1.0 and the other two from an article "Tinkling Bell's Crystals - The Future!". These were all written in "your computer" - September 1986. Now try to tell me that computing has changed and that CLI and GUI are exclusive!

By the way the subscription prize was a $13,000 (Australian $) Labtam "Worlds Fastest Computer" 5 Terminal running a 10 MHz 286 with either 2 x 5.25" floppy disks or 1 x 5.25" floppy disk and a 10 MB or 20 MB Hard Disk Drive.

I've kept the magazine all these years just to remind myself about the hype that goes with the IT industry.
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues Reply with quote

If you keep your home directory, you may need to chown it after reinstalling. Even if you keep the same username, the new installation may have given you a new UID and/or GID. As root, do

Code:
chown -R myuser: ~myuser

Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues Reply with quote

I find that SuSE asks if I want to adopt the files in /home/rhakios when I do such an install, then chowns them, though as I always seem to end up with the same uid I don't expec it's doing much.
towy71

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues Reply with quote

indeed but try installing a different distro and the uid defaults may be different, Mandrake uses 501 upwards debian seems to use 1001 upwards Rolling Eyes
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues Reply with quote

I thought this thread was about SuSE Razz
towy71

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues Reply with quote

yes but even so the question was upgrade or new install and as a corollary.....
the subject also mentions other issues Razz

anyroad don't stick your tongue out at me Wink
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues Reply with quote

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: SUSE 9.2>9.3 upgrade USB broken, other issues Reply with quote

Well, sorry to hear about all the problems but I can only say that I upgraded from suse 8.1 to 9.2, then 9.2 to 9.3 and the only thing that happened was everything worked better, drives recognised, configurations still there, etc. Well, except for my computer clock running slow (a minor problem). I have a variety of external drives both pcmcia and usb and all are recognised and write OK. So I have to vote for upgrading rather than clean install.

Cheers
Dave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: