Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toshiba SD-R6112 DVD drive will not open

View previous topic :: View next topic  
md41

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Toshiba SD-R6112 DVD drive will not open Reply with quote

Hey,

I have just changed over to Linux. I'm using openSUSE 10.1. I have a problem with my Toshiba DVD drive however. Its has been recognised and properly installed by SUSE yet it wont eject while the OS is running. It does read CDs and DVDs correctly, it just won't eject!

Anyone know why?

Here is the error message I recieved:
umount: it seems /dev/hdc is mounted multiple times
eject: unmount of `/dev/hdc' failed

Thanks in Advance
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Toshiba SD-R6112 DVD drive will not open Reply with quote

Can you post the contents of /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab?
md41

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Toshiba SD-R6112 DVD drive will not open Reply with quote

Below is fstab:
/dev/hda2 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/sda1 /windows/D vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
/dev/hda1 swap swap defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
/dev/dvdrecorder /media/dvdrecorder subfs noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

Below is mtab:

/dev/hda2 / reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/dvdrecorder subfs ro,nosuid,nodev,fs=cdfss,procuid,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/disk-1 iso9660 ro,nosuid,nodev 0 0
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Toshiba SD-R6112 DVD drive will not open Reply with quote

It is indeed mounted twice, once on /media/dvdrecorder and once on /media/disk-1. Both need be unmounted before you can eject the disc.

The entry in /etc/fstab would appear to be causing the problem (I have no such entry on my SUSE 10.1 setup and it automounts CDs fine), so comment it out by placing a # at the start of the line. You'll need to be root to edit the file, the easiest way to do this is is to open a root shell with "Applications -> System -> Terminal -> Terminal Program - Super User Mode" and type "gedit /etc/fstab".
md41

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Toshiba SD-R6112 DVD drive will not open Reply with quote

hey, ok I ran terminal for "gedit /etc/fstab" and fstab file comes up but what do I do to unmount?
md41

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Toshiba SD-R6112 DVD drive will not open Reply with quote

hey, ok I ran terminal for "gedit /etc/fstab" and fstab file comes up but what do I do to unmount?
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Toshiba SD-R6112 DVD drive will not open Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
.comment it out by placing a # at the start of the line.

then save it.Very Happy

then reboot, probably, is easiest. this will stop it being mounted twice.

nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Toshiba SD-R6112 DVD drive will not open Reply with quote

md41 wrote:

Code:
umount /media/dvdrecorder

md41

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Toshiba SD-R6112 DVD drive will not open Reply with quote

Thank you, that seems to have sorted it!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: