Trouble installing Mandriva LE2005

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Trouble installing Mandriva LE2005

Postby thecandleishere » Sun May 29, 2005 5:26 pm

Well, I don't even get to installing, I'm having trouble partitioning. Its on a P4 laptop, I'd previously been running windows but I wanted to start fresh with Linux, as a project, since its something I'd never tried before. So I used the cover disc (the Mandriva 2005 DVD) - it all works fine and seams really easy, but just after I erased the hard drive and done the partitioning (root, /home and swap partitions), it appears to have worked but then after I click to move on I get the message "an error occured. no hdlists found". After that it dosn't let you continue, just brings up the options to do the partitioning again, I've tried a few times and get the same message.

I put it into Google and found a few results with other people asking about this same problem - they were all to do with Mandrake/Mandriva, from different versions. None of them came up with any solutions though.

So is there any solution to this? Has anyone else experienced this, and how did you get around it? Otherwise would trying another distribution work and might it be a problem with my hardware or the disc?

Thanks.
thecandleishere

RE: Trouble installing Mandriva LE2005

Postby Guest » Sun May 29, 2005 7:19 pm

I gave up on this Mandriva as supplied on the mag - it just sent me round and round during install - I didn't get the wizzy hi res screens as seen in the mag but the crod DOS style install screens - total poo

Postby nelz » Sun May 29, 2005 8:45 pm

Either you have insufficient memory for the graphical install or the installer was unable to handle your video card. Either way, the install works just the same. The text installation screens may not be as pretty, but they do exactly the same job.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Guest » Mon May 30, 2005 11:43 am

Could'nt agree more with you Guest...ended up with a new HD,or at least new for my old P2 box...Digger

Postby thecandleishere » Mon May 30, 2005 1:51 pm

Well I'm getting the graphical installation screens just like in the mag - infact I was really pleased with how easy it all was; it even detected my wireless keyboard and mouse plugged into a USB hub which I'd previously spent ages trying to get windows to recognise but this just found it. All good until this hdlists thing.
thecandleishere

Postby nelz » Mon May 30, 2005 6:42 pm

That's strange. As you can see fro the screenshots, the installer does work. I would expect an error like this to be caused by a missing file, which would break it for everyone. A faulty disc could cause it, but that is unlikely. One way to test the disc is to run the mkiso or winmkiso script to create CD ISO images, as described in the box on the disc pages. If the disc is faulty, these will fail.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:39 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I bought a 8Gb HD, formatted with DOS fdisk - 2G=win; rest = dos (Linux) - that took some effort for some reason??
Put Win 98 on C: and it runs fine. Boot LXF Mandriva from CDrom - see smart opening install screen. Press Enter for install - gurgle - drop into dos style user interface. The PC is a old AMD-K6 64MB Ram - Knoppix runs OK, ran SuSE 7 too in the past. Basic system regards cards.
Where am I going wrong? Now the Linux stuff doesn't run. Tried startx at the bash prompt - get error message. poo :(

Postby nelz » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:00 am

The Mandriva graphical installer uses a lot of memory. You'll need at least 96MB, probably 128MB. You can still install a graphical system from the text mode installer, the memory limit is for the installer only.
nelz
Site admin

Postby youlikeicecream » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:45 pm

I had a few probs with the installer, graphical or otherwise. essentially it is very sensitive about disks ... if you have a drive all on its own on a ide channel, but it is set as slave with no master - mandriva hangs. Mandriva got a little stressed with my two different Raid contollers being set as BASE(SATA) / ATA (IDE). and would hang with my IDE RAID controller plugged in (before partitioning). I moved to Kubuntu wchich seems to love all my hardware! and uses KDE3.4 instead of 3.3 in Mandriva (unless you use Gnome) - Good luck Mandriva Users ...
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

same error "no hdlists found"

Postby uygarsirin » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:25 pm

hi
did u find any solution to the error "no hdlists" found
i am looking in lots of forums but no solution i had
i hope i can get the answer from here
thanx
uygarsirin

no hdlists found

Postby Andyroid » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:14 am

never seen this problem myself but I bet if you change the jumper settings on the drive it'll work. Like youlikeicecream said, the installers sensitive about hard drive settings.
Good luck!
Andyroid

RE: no hdlists found

Postby youlikeicecream » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:50 am

I had no end of problems with the Mandriva DVD, am now TOTALLY pleased with Kubuntu, dont bother with mandriva - try something else.
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:05 pm

> Same problem.. I think Linux is not compatible with Dells.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:16 pm

I gave up on Linux entirely. Try fixing the install before you launch the system? Tried everything, from Text to talking to the who made linux.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:15 pm

Anonymous wrote:I gave up on Linux entirely. Try fixing the install before you launch the system? Tried everything, from Text to talking to the who made linux.
I like cake

Next

Return to Help!