Solution to Ubuntu xserver-xorg update crashing xserver

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Solution to Ubuntu xserver-xorg update crashing xserver

Postby spottedcat » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:39 am

This not a plea for help. I'm posting the solution for anyone looking for one. The latest Ubuntu update of xserver-xorg-core crashes the Xserver. :oops: :oops: If you are having this problem and you look in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log you will find at the end:

(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

The solution is:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core=1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10

which takes you back to a working version. (That's a zero in 0ubuntu) Then:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

I got this from this Ubuntu forums thread in which you can read all the gory details.

I gave up on SuSE because of the ZEN updater issues, but really..... :evil:
spottedcat
LXF regular

thanks!

Postby ehawk » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:31 pm

Here, I thought it was something I had done to screw up X.

I remember the update...then the next time I restarted, bam!

I spent a few hours looking through forums.

Since I had done a recent installation, I even tried a network reinstallation, with the same problem.

Then I tried the other distro allowing for network installations from windows (instlux), which was opensuse 10.1, but that hung up during installation.

I had a simplymepis disk, so I am trying to install that now. Things seem to be hanging during the formatting step. Maybe I shouldn't have told the installer to check for bad blocks...hehe.

If you get that problem during the installation sequence, should the same solution work if you can get to a command prompt?

I notice that the ubuntu forum link reports that the server is not responding...wondering if they're getting deluged :)
ehawk

Xserver-xorg-core update crashing xserver

Postby spottedcat » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:00 pm

More information. The Ubuntuforums thread I linked to has been closed by the moderators there (but it's still readable, of course), and the last post on that thread links to this one. There are instructions somewhere in that latter thread for downgrading back to the version 10 of xserver-xorg-core for those who need the GUI to connect to the internet, by using the archived .deb retained somewhere on the system . (Get's worse, doesn't it? :( ).

As you can imagine, the Ubuntu community is rather over-excited at the moment. Several very unhappy bunnies on those two threads. :wink: The coffee is truly frothing. One thing, though. One poster suggests that this may be a bug introduced by the Xserver devs rather than the Ubuntu ones, and that other distros might be affected as well. Has anyone come across anything like this on another distro?

Oh bugger. I updated SuSE 10.0 about an hour or so ago.....
spottedcat
LXF regular

moved to Mepis

Postby ehawk » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:34 pm

Well, I got Mepis installed. Looks nice, is snappy. I realize it has an ubuntu base now, but I think the release I used came out a little while ago, so the ubuntu repos weren't automatically activated (the messages synaptic spat at me about the ubuntu repos not being enabled seem to support the notion that mepis now knows it should be accessing ubuntu repos). I guess that's why I didn't crash after updating from the mepis repos, but I kept an eye out to make sure I didn't accept an Xorg update, just the same.

I think I'll stick with mepis for now, with ubuntu repos disabled. I don't care if its the Xorg devs who screwed up, Ubuntu can't pass the buck for what they release. This is the sort of thing that will send a newbie running back to Windows, after being encouraged to do something that renders the system virtually unusable. Gosh, you'd think they would play with it before throwing it out to the masses.
ehawk

Xserver-xorg-core update crashing xserver

Postby spottedcat » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:43 pm

ehawk, I know you're at liberty to retitle your own post in a thread, but your title rather than the thread title then appears in the 'latest posts' links, and you've done it twice now. Also, other people often just let the previous title stick when they post, so that it will keep reappearing in the latest posts links. I started the thread to help anyone who has this problem. They may miss it if 'moved to Mepis', or something else, appears in the latest posts links and they don't look at all the thread titles in the subforums.
spottedcat
LXF regular

xserver-xorg update crashing xserver[fixed via update]

Postby towy71 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:02 pm

I had installed the update already when I read this thread so did not restart the xserver but waited until the fix was issued. My system was just rebooted without any problem.
SC you have to indulge my altering the subject line ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

RE: xserver-xorg update crashing xserver[fixed via update]

Postby jjmac » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:47 am

Seems the link points to 46 pages, any chance of a brief on what the problem was ?

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

xserver-xorg update crashing xserver [fixed via update]

Postby spottedcat » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:33 am

jjmac wrote:Seems the link points to 46 pages, any chance of a brief on what the problem was ?

That many? It was only ( :wink:) about 25 last time I looked. I told you the coffee was frothing.

A brief in brief - The 1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10.3 version (I think it was) released on 21st Aug (?) of xserver-xorg-core crashed the xserver. On booting up, after the usplash a text screen came up telling you of the crash and referring you to the log I mention in my first post and leaving you with a text console. It would be rather daunting for a newcomer to Linux - I wonder how many people Ubuntu have lost due to this. According to the Ubuntu forum boards it was affecting people with both ATI and Nvidia cards, and possibly other chipsets as well - I can't remember. With my machine I tried both the proprietary 'nvidia' and open source 'nv' drivers and with both I got a crash. You have to wonder whether the patch was tested before it was released. I mean - both ATI and Nvidia - proprietary and OS drivers. :?

My update app is telling me 1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10.4 is now available. I read on that thread that this is OK but, frankly, I'm going to give it a few days before I install it - I'll wait and see if everyone's experience is as positive as towy71's.

towy71 wrote:SC you have to indulge my altering the subject line :wink:

No problems. Anything for you, Towy. :P
spottedcat
LXF regular

RE: xserver-xorg update crashing xserver [fixed via update]

Postby jjmac » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:48 am

hmmmm,

>>
You have to wonder whether the patch was tested before it was released.
>>

:)

Etch is at '1:1.0.2-9' as is unstable.

To quick of the block maybe. All this rush, rush (grin)

i think i may just cache the pages any way as it sounds interesting.

>>
I wonder how many people Ubuntu have lost due to this
>>

Yes, good point, especially daunting for a new person with the latest gear. Just to find that the rengineering on their chipsets have a few glitches. It could well cause a few tail spins.

Sounds like back grading that package set would be the safest all round solution.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

RE: xserver-xorg update crashing xserver [fixed via update]

Postby spottedcat » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:15 am

I've updated to the 1:1.0.2-0ubuntu10.4 version of xserver-xorg-core now on my laptop with Intel 915G garphics, did a ctrl-alt-backspace to restart the xserver and all now seems to be well. I'll try later on my desktop with nvidia. If anyone is still stuck in a text console, you no longer need to do the downgrade I described in my first post. This link on the main Ubuntu site tells you what to do. Somewhat quicker than going to Ubuntu forums - their server was already being overloaded before this blew up and they are still awaiting a hardware enhancement for this.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Return to Help!