Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux DVD RAM : Help needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
twitcher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Linux DVD RAM : Help needed Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm a relative nooob to the wonderful world of Linux. I've got an LG super multi DVD drive and want to write to DVD RAM. I'm using Suse 9.0 on an AMD Sempron based machine. I can write to CD-R and DVD-R, but not DVD RAM ,the drive can read content on the DVD RAM disks but cannot write to the disk. I'm under the impression that Suse 9.0 should be able to read and write to DVD RAM ? any ideas where I'm going wrong? Thanks in advance
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Linux DVD RAM : Help needed Reply with quote

How are you trying to write to it ?

I was under the impression that DVD-RAM was like CD-RW, ie a rewriteable DVD. You should be able to write to it, and erase it, using k3b or whatever your favourite burning app is. What you won't be able to do is treat it like another hard drive (ie mount it in read/write mode).

Nigel.
twitcher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Linux DVD RAM Reply with quote

Hi Nigel,

I was hoping that I could use DVD RAM in a drap n drop format exactly like a hard disk moving files to and fro using the OS. No burning app required. It's the only reason that I have Windoze on my machine, beacuse of this functionality. I must admit I've not tried to use K3b with a DVDRAM, I will give it a try. So is there no way to mount a DVDRAM in read write mode, even if I upgrade to the latest release of SUSE (or other distro if I must!)
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Linux DVD RAM Reply with quote

You should be able to use dvd-ram like that. Try searching Google, there are a few sites with some information on this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Linux DVD RAM Reply with quote

Nigel hasn't got a clue...

...but at least he is not a coward without a clue, like me.
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Linux DVD RAM Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Nigel hasn't got a clue...

Probably true, but uncalled for. I've probably got more years experience in the computer industry than you've had hot dinners, which has taught me that I don't know everything. Which is why I qualified my comments with "I was under the impression that...", which I was at the time.

At least I try to help, instead of posting snide anonymous comments...

Nigel.
twitcher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Linux DVD RAM Reply with quote

Nigel,

Thanks for trying to help, sorry that you got flack from the anon user.
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Linux DVD RAM Reply with quote

IMHO anonymity is last refuge of a scoundrel !
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Linux DVD RAM Reply with quote

Thanks, folks... I know I shouldn't rise to idiots like that, but it just put the icing on the cake of a bad day yesterday (fgetpos, fseek, MS compilers - don't ask Evil or Very Mad )

That plus the return of the chinese graffiti & the idiot with the texas poker links just strengthens my opinion that anonymous posting should be disallowed.

Nigel.
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Linux DVD RAM Reply with quote

Makes one wish that you could direct the Monty Python foot to crush these f***wits Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux DVD RAM Reply with quote

twitcher wrote:
No burning app required. It's the only reason that I have Windoze on my machine, beacuse of this functionality.

Windows doesn't have this functionality either.

Granted, Windows XP has a basic burning app built in, but it works like any other burning app... i.e. select a file to burn or drag a file onto the app's window, select the 'write' or 'burn' button a wait until finished.. There is no real-time r-w app available on Windows or Linux.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Linux DVD RAM Reply with quote

Guest, you are right of course.
I was a bit lazy in my post, the DVDRAM drag n drop functionality is created by software provided with the DVD burner. This allows files to be moved to the DVDRAM by the GUI without using a burning app front end. My LG burner had Nero bundled, my Toshiba SD-W1011 had software from Vob.de bundled with it. The software runs in the background on my Win98 HD and I had forgotten all about it. It got me thinking though and I've just discovered NeroLinux http://www.nero.com/eng/NeroLINUX.html
which I shall investigate!
cheers to all Very Happy
twitcher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Linux DVD RAM Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot to log in, the above post was by me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Linux DVD RAM Reply with quote

NeroLINUX works but it's not on par with K3b and looks ugly too.
K3b is the premier burning app for Linux
MC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Linux DVD RAM Reply with quote

Hi twitcher,

To use a DVD-RAM disc under Linux you must be using a 2.6 kernal.
Insert DVD-RAM into drive then type in a shell

mount /dev/cdrom1 /mnt (substitute cdrom1 for your drive id)

You must then format the disc for use by typing

mke2fs /dev/cdrom1

Files can then be dragged to\from disc.

Disc is unmounted with

umount /mnt

I have the LG super multidrive, help the above is helpful.

MC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: