MP3 on SUSE 10.1?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

MP3 on SUSE 10.1?

Postby baasivan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:49 am

I installed SUSE 10.1 (fresh install) off the LFX82 DVD only to find I cannot use Amarok to play my MP3 collection! In fact none of the media players play MP3. Amarok complains about XINE not having the plugin to play MP3. I thought I will bet clever and downloaded the LAME lib and installed it, still no luck! I then tried to re-install XINE using PackMan.Links2Linux.org Neither YAST nor the new ZEN installer could help so I reverted to the command line to install the needed RPM's Ater about 100meg downloaded I got caught in dependancy HELL!. I then booted WinXP, fired up ZINF to play my mp3 collection and Mplayer to watch my DVD's. Note that both these applications are free and open source and WORK on Windows, now could somebody please tell me how to make SUSE 10.1 accomplish these simple tasks. For the moment I will not complain about my Atheros Wireless PCI card that worked fine under SUSE 10.0 but is not even recognised by 10.1
Any advice or comments?
I would like to get Linux running!
baasivan

RE: MP3 on SUSE 10.1?

Postby spottedcat » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:21 am

Three comments:

1 Look at my sig. :wink:

2 Download and install Ubuntu Dapper, and then run EasyUbuntu.

or instead of 2,

3 Download and install PCLinuxOS.
spottedcat
LXF regular

RE: MP3 on SUSE 10.1?

Postby emyr42 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:14 pm

Well, I'm still using 10.0, and that works fine... I don't think I'll ungrade wil 10.2... I don't like oddnumbers.
OpenSUSE 10.2, WinXPHome
AMD Sempron 2400, 512MB DDR333, Twin 60GB Deathstars
emyr42
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:14 pm

I normally encode to ogg in Linux, but I have just ripped and encoded a couple of tracks to mp3 using Grip in SUSE 10.1 and they play back in Amarok with no problems.

I can't remember doing anything special to enable mp3 encoding/playing (because as I said I normally use ogg). Looking back at my notes I see that following setting up the playing of encrypted DVDs by installing libdvdcss2, the next thing I did was to add packman as an installation source and installed w32.codec.all. After that I updated kaffeine, totem and xine-ui (from packman via YaST), which automatically installed lame, libxine1 and speex. So I guess it was the lame package packman installed which now enables me to encode and play mp3s.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:17 pm

mp3s should also be playable in Amarok using the helix engine from realplayer, of course you need realplayer installed and to change the settings in Amarok to use the helix engine.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:01 pm

Rhakios wrote:mp3s should also be playable in Amarok using the helix engine from realplayer, of course you need realplayer installed and to change the settings in Amarok to use the helix engine.

Or just play them in RealPlayer itself. :wink:
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:13 pm

I use suse 10.1, and have spectacularly failed to get Amarok to play anything at all, MP3,CD,DVD, wav,nogo, the default install has no player engine.

I have installed mplayer,and libdvdcss, plus Lame and win32 codecs
Most things work with xine, mplayer or Kaffeine.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... p?t=474643
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:22 pm

Marrea wrote:Or just play them in RealPlayer itself. :wink:

Yeeeuuuurrrgh!

Not the prettiest application and it doesn't do much by itself.

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:the default install has no player engine.

Quite likely, I probably installed amarok-helix when testing it.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby linuxgirlie » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:20 am

When I had Suse 10 installing xmms-mp3 solved my mp3 problem.
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:08 am

Rhakios wrote:Yeeeuuuurrrgh!

Not the prettiest application and it doesn't do much by itself.

Too true, and certainly not my first choice (or second, or third !!) - but it does play the music. You listen to music, you don't look at it. :lol:

As regards the engine, my Amarok has just the one - Xine. But because I didn't open Amarok prior to doing my tweaks for DVD encrypting, etc., I can't say whether that engine was there originally or not.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:37 pm

i've got similar probs with suse 10.1 and am singularly unimpressed :roll: i re-installed kaffeine from source and still i can't play anything :oops:
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Marrea » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:50 pm

I can play mp3s, oggs, CDs and DVDs in kaffeine on SUSE10.1. I'm using kaffeine version 0.8.1-0 from Packman (installed via YaST, ie it replaced the original SUSE version).
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:35 pm

Have you added all of the non-oss stuff? This is available on the full DVD you can download from openSUSE.org or the separate CD with just the non-oss stuff. The easiest way is following the instructions at:
The Jem Report

... although I think that openSUSE 10.1 is the worst version and the best version that has been released. The Zen package manager was/is broken when first installed, I still can't logoff from a graphical interface or whilst X is running, Banshee played all my iPod AAC files without any issues, YaST is the best version yet, YaST still doesn't detect if I've got the package/daemon installed so it displays all config tools, ....
ollie

Postby Marrea » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:15 pm

ollie wrote: Banshee played all my iPod AAC files without any issues, ....

Strange, although I'm OK with Amarok and kaffeine, I can't get anywhere with Banshee. It will only import my mp3 files to its music library (it can't seem to find the ogg files) but it won't play them. It just says I don't have a decoder installed to handle them. And although it won't import the ogg files, it allows me to browse to them on the file system and will then play them.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby ScottyDave » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:40 pm

I could only get Banshee to play ogg files, but Amarok was great of the dvd and with win32 codes and libdvd instaled Kaffeine runs dvds great. Suse 10 and .1 have been the only distros I have tryed that played mp3 strate away.
ScottyDave

Next

Return to Help!