Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BROTHER HL2030 LASER PRINTER

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: BROTHER HL2030 LASER PRINTER Reply with quote

I have been thinking for a while about getting a cheap laser printer, as most of my printing tends to be text and inkjets (I have an Epson R300) are hardly the most economical way of producing this sort of work.

I reckoned on having to spend anything up to 100 to get a half-decent laser for home use but then noticed in one of the numerous leaflets that fell out of my local paper yesterday that Staples were selling the Brother HL2030 for 49.99 (reduced from 79.99). So I popped over to my nearest store (Hemel Hempstead) and bought one.

As you can imagine, there was no problem setting it up on the Windows partition. I then turned my attention to attempting to get it configured in SUSE10.1. I had a look at the Brother website and discovered that they provide not only an LPR driver but also a CUPS wrapper driver which enables the LPR driver to work with CUPS.

I have to confess my knowledge of Linux printing is virtually nil so, even though there are some very clear instructions on the site, I didn't reckon my chances of success - especially when various error messages appeared in the console which I didn't understand, such as:
Code:
ERROR : Brother LPD filter is not installed.
rm -f /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperHL2030
chmod: cannot access `/usr/local/Brother/inf/brHL2030rc': No such file or directory

I thought to myself this is not going to work. However, I carried on regardless and much to my surprise, when I went to http://localhost:631 there was the HL2030 ready for printing a test page. And as far as I can tell, it seems to be doing what it is supposed to do. For instance I can just go into eg OOo Writer and print from within the program. Once again, Linux has amazed me.

Now, please don't anyone mention that my first replacement toner cartridge will probably cost as much as the printer itself ! Wink
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: RE: BROTHER HL2030 LASER PRINTER Reply with quote

http://www.topinks.co.uk Smile
Vanders

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: BROTHER HL2030 LASER PRINTER Reply with quote

Marrea wrote:
..Staples were selling the Brother HL2030 for 49.99 (reduced from 79.99). So I popped over to my nearest store (Hemel Hempstead) and bought one.

..I had a look at the Brother website and discovered that they provide not only an LPR driver but also a CUPS wrapper driver which enables the LPR driver to work with CUPS.

Bleach. I hate it when manufacturers do that. The majority of distributions have been shipping with CUPS as the default for how long now?

On the bright side, looking at linuxprinting.org it looks like the HL-2030 does work with various Free drivers, and at a pinch would work as a Generic PCL-6 printer, so it's not too bad.

To make this slightly topical, I also noticed the other day that Currys had the Samsung ML-1710 laser on sale for under fifty quid, and lo' and behold just a few days after that someone poped up with fully developed and working CUPS drivers for those very printers (http://splix.sourceforge.net). So that might also be a good option for someone looking for a budget laser (& yes I was tempted, but I don't do enough printing and the wife wouldn't have been too happy with me trying to sqeeze yet another bit of hardware into the office!)
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: BROTHER HL2030 LASER PRINTER Reply with quote

CUPS drivers for the ML-1710 have been included with foomatic for ages, I used them with my 1510 for a while.
Vanders

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: BROTHER HL2030 LASER PRINTER Reply with quote

I assume you're using the "gdi" driver with Ghostscript? Yeah, you're right, that will also work.

Perhaps I should explain: I much prefer to see real, honest-to-goodness CUPS raster drivers that do not require Foomatic or other hacks to work with CUPS. Real CUPS raster drivers that work without Foomatic also work on Syllable, which is what I like to see. An entire rant on the subject of Open Source printer drivers and Foomatic would fill most of your screen, so I won't do that now.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: BROTHER HL2030 LASER PRINTER Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
http://www.topinks.co.uk Smile

I can't see the HL2030 mentioned among the compatible toner cartridges (unless I haven't looked thoroughly enough).

Not sure I really want to get involved in refilling a toner cartridge. "Previous refilling experience is an advantage" they say.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz and Vanders

As I said, my knowledge of Unix/Linux printing is virtually nil. All this CUPS, LPR, foomatic, GDI stuff is quite baffling to someone like me who, up to now, has been used to merely popping an Epson CD in and following the nice graphical instructions. Very Happy

I can usually get my inkjet to work in my various Linux distros and am happy enough that my new laser printer does what I want it to do in SUSE. I've just started reading Chris Brown's "SUSE Linux" (O'Reilly) and he says in Chapter 2: "I have a confession to make. I don't understand how printing works in Linux". If he doesn't understand, what hope is there for me? Wink
Vanders

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand why Chris Brown says that. It is a small miracle that every time you print in Linux, it usually works. If you really knew what was going on in there just to get a page to your printer, you'd be far more nervous and surprised when it works!
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanders wrote:
If you really knew what was going on in there just to get a page to your printer, you'd be far more nervous and surprised when it works!

I get even more nervous and surprised when something just works in Windows. Rolling Eyes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: