Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible hard drive death?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diagmato
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Possible hard drive death? Reply with quote

I have a secondary hard drive in my main pc, which has been acting very sluggish. Sometimes when booting up, the pc would either report there is an error with the master secondary IDE device (the second hard drive), other times it wont find it at all, sometimes it wont find it, or any IDE devices, and others it will find them all.

I ran Maxtors boot up tool, and it gave me a diagnostic code, reporting that the hard drive is failing. So, ive filling in an advanced RMA request.

Here comes the real problem. The drive seems to work in the other pc - at least, it was detected fine, and the diagnostic tool is taking a much longer time trying to find an error (this could take all day).

What else could be causing it to fail? The IDE cables? Would the power lines be it? Im guessing the power lines because its at the end of a small chain, with a fan before it on the cable.

I dont want to rip out masses of cabling and devices, sit there for hours trying to work things out just to find there was possibly an easy solution to this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: RE: Possible hard drive death? Reply with quote

How about differences in the mobo - especially timing differences for the commands and readouts prtaining to the IDE interface? It seems to me that that could be the cause of the differences between the PCs and the way they see that drive.

Did you test the drive 'on its own' to eliminate any side effects from more than one drive connected?
Diagmato
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Possible hard drive death? Reply with quote

I didnt test it on its own, although, when trying to install the hard drive into the first system, the 4-pin power cable's pins were loose. I used another cable, and it seems to have made that drive happier.

Now im just hoping maxtor will allow me to cancel the RMA, which it doesnt seem likely so far.

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: