Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another organisation that doesn't know about Linux
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyLB
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Another organisation that doesn't know about Linux Reply with quote

I've been using the Britannia building society for some years. Finally they have got round to an online banking system. I tried to use it only to be informed that the site only works with M$. An additional note stated that a version suitable for Apple users was in development. Not a word about Linux!

I've written to them and complained. If the major banks and other building socs can make a non M$ specific site, why can't they? The more complaints they get the better.

I've also threatened to close the account and move to a more sensible BS.

Tony
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Another organisation that doesn't know about Linux Reply with quote

TonyLB wrote:
I've been using the Britannia building society for some years. Finally they have got round to an online banking system. I tried to use it only to be informed that the site only works with M$. An additional note stated that a version suitable for Apple users was in development. Not a word about Linux!

I've written to them and complained. If the major banks and other building socs can make a non M$ specific site, why can't they? The more complaints they get the better.

I've also threatened to close the account and move to a more sensible BS.

Tony

I would move your account and tell them why.
I would also point out that you are not willing to use Internet Explorer for "security reasons"

candy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Another organisation that doesn Reply with quote

Agree with the OP's course of action. It is not that difficult to design a site that is multi OS. Wyliecoyoteuk's comment on raising the security issues of IE is good but I am wondering if the person it is to be sent to would just ignore it not being up on computing. Perhaps a copy should be sent to the person responsible for running the Home Banking system so they would respond to that point. Like most of you I run Firefox, having learn't the hard way IE can't be trusted.

Regards,

A girl in a million
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Another organisation that doesn Reply with quote

I must admit, though they are crap with sending credit card/loans spam (I don't want any!!!) .....barclays is very good with multi-distro /browser support for online banking.

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: RE: Re: Another organisation that doesn Reply with quote

I use NatWest online banking successfully using Firefox on Windows and Linux, even over proxies. Smile
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: RE: Re: Another organisation that doesn Reply with quote

Barclays have always made multii-platform support a high priority (I spoke to one of their senior managers about this some years ago).

I get less snail-spam from Barclays than anyone else, probably because they know how overdrawn I am already Sad
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Another organisation that doesn Reply with quote

I have used Smile Bank for years, both in the UK and from Spain. I use Firefox and there are no probs.

Try them also.

Best

David
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Another organisation that doesn Reply with quote

FirstDirect works with Firefox on Linux & Windows, and also Safari on OS-X. HSBC's business banking works fine with Firefox on both Windows & Linux.

Really, a bank/BS that still only supports IE doesn't deserve any customers.
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Another organisation that doesn Reply with quote

Funny how companies/businesses see MS as an actual industry standard, which they arn't of course. So a service to the public should at least be standards compliant. It' s just bone ignorant lazyness on there part really. and a lot of the 'ol who gives a hoot, so to speak.

Idea Just had a potentially brilliant idea ...

Go to their bank with a 4 foot long by 3 foot, 1/2 inch thick, piece of ply. Made out as a cheque. As long as its' got the appropriate tax stamp on it they will have to accept it.

Not sure what kind of tax/duty stamp it requires, will have to look in to that ...

hmmmm, i think iv'e just given my self a good idea Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

It could be fun (grin)

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Another organisation that doesn Reply with quote

I have not heard any North American banks actually checking on the OS, just doing a browser check. I do not have a problem at mine, TD-CanadaTrust (merger of Toronto Dominion Bank and CanadaTrust) since they were mutli platform already. Up until just a couple of years ago they ran OS/2 in house!
TonyLB
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Another organisation that doesn Reply with quote

I've had a reply from Britannia customer services saying that they are passing my comments on to a 'senior developer', whatever that means.

I'll report back on their reply once I get it.

Tony
alloydog
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Another organisation that doesn Reply with quote

jjmac wrote:
Not sure what kind of tax/duty stamp it requires, will have to look in to that ...

IIRC ir doesn't need anything.

It just needs the usual details, bank A/C, sort code and your signature.

I remember years ago in a paper, a bloke paid a cheque to a charity writtenon the side of a small shark.

All a cheque is a promisory note issued by an individual.
towy71

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Another organisation that doesn Reply with quote

There used to be a stamp duty on British cheques abolished sometime in the sixties, perhaps Australia still have such a statutue
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Another organisation that doesn Reply with quote

>>
perhaps Australia still have such a statutue
>>

We've had John Howard for around 10 years, so, any thing that is rediculous is possible over this way ...

hmmmm, i will have to look into it further. Not an original idea either (damn), though i wish it was. I think i saw it on tv once (grin) (who knows when).

4x3 feet x 1/2inch, hmmmm that would look a bit funny. Probably better would be 4 feet x 2 feet x 1/2 inch (hehehe).

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Another organisation that doesn Reply with quote

As well as the fish cheque there have also been cases of people writing cheques on a door(so that would be about 6.5 feet by 4 feet by 2 inches), and one disgruntled farmer wrote a cheque on the side of a live cow.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: