Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External USB HDD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have basically given up on the little bugger too, i can write to it if i click on the desktop icon, that will have to do ... another thig you might be able to help me with ... I am a dreamweaver user and I am looking to move away from the costly app and onto something else. Am a complete beginner at PHP, but am capable with SQL ASP(VBSCRIPT/JavaScript). what would be a good prog to use, had a look at quant plus and bluefish .. but they have some way to go as replacements for macromedia. any suggestions ?

Mike Smile
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Nvu (.com) is one of the main players in the linux arena for web design.
kevanf1
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: RE: External USB HDD Reply with quote

What are your default settings? I could be wrong (and often am) but it appears that the fstab line is using the default access permissions. If these are wrong (for ordinary user to read or write) then this might be the problem. Otherwise, with my limited knowledge, the line appears to be perfect. I'm not sure what my fstab line is for my USB drive but I'll take a look. I don't have a LaCie drive but I do have one of the Maxtor ones but that shouldn't make a difference. I do have Kubuntu and SuSE 9.3
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: RE: External USB HDD Reply with quote

kevanf1 > mine is a LACIE with a Maxtor inside, have tried using other permissive values instead of Defaults. Same thing happens for my Fat32 Partitions!

MOPHP > thanks will have a look at that one Smile
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: RE: External USB HDD Reply with quote

sorry that should have read " Same thing happens for all my Fat32 Partitions! "
skecs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: RE: External USB HDD Reply with quote

There are a few web authoring tools around, Quanta & Bluefish are the most developed. There is also f4l - Flash 4 Linux that looks like Flash 4 (very Windows 95 look).

If these aren't suitable there is always the option of using CrossOver Office and then installing Macromedia Studio. I'm seriously thinking about this route, the cost of CrossOver Office is getting quite reasonable. You can also lobby Adobe/Macromedia for a Linux version Wink and see how much they listen.
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: RE: External USB HDD Reply with quote

macromedia apparently are VERY reluctant about a Linux version, I have read this all over the internet. Also I think they design their products to make sure that they are running on a Windows system ... CrossOffice is the only way to get macromedia software to work (other than win4lin etc) WINE definately does not work with MM prods !
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: RE: External USB HDD Reply with quote

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/lLACIE vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0

umask=0 is the key to this problem, this allows users to mount (own) the filesystem even though it is mounted at boot (by root - i believe)

thanks y'all
Mike Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: RE: External USB HDD Reply with quote

Are you using NTFS or FAT??
towy71

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: RE: External USB HDD Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Are you using NTFS or FAT??

doh! wake up at the back - the fstab entry is specific

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/lLACIE vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: External USB HDD Reply with quote

lol, i solved it , the UMASK=0 is the bit that lets everyone mount it and write to it etc

It would be a bit silly for me to make it NTFS and then post a help thingy asking why I can't write to it

but thanks Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: