Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone for a laptop recommendation ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dukeinlondon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: anyone for a laptop recommendation ? Reply with quote

If anyone has recently bought a laptop that support well suspend and resume (on lid close),sound bluetooth wifi and has a DVD writer, then let me know.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: RE: anyone for a laptop recommendation ? Reply with quote

Yes, my Apple G4 Powerbook does very nicely with all these. I'm afraid it won't all work with Linux though. Still, fink is one way of getting FLOSS apps to work with OS X.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: RE: anyone for a laptop recommendation ? Reply with quote

IBM ThinkPads tend to work well with Linux -- plus they're built like tanks. Incredibly tough, sturdy and reliable. I have an R31 here; everything works, including the WinModem! Huzzah! However, IBM's PC business has been sold to Lenovo now, so it remains to be seen if they maintain the quality. Fingers and toes crossed...

M
Lanser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought an acer travelmate 4500 for work almost everything just worked out of the box using suse 9.3 wireless, bluetooth with my phone, suspend resume etc the only thing that doesnt are a couple of extra buttons and i need to configure the keyboard so that the extra function keys work got a couple going (vol up/down and mute)

John
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBM are always a good buy, and I haven't had any problems with Fuji. Avoid newer cheepy Toshibas like the plague and any brand you have never heard of or bells / whistles laptops.
http://www.linux-laptop.net/ is a bit outdated in areas but is quite useful.
bigbee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a acer travelmate 4502LCi running linux smoothly. bluetooth, wifi... everything worked out of the box (Thx to SuSE 9.2) Smile
Overall I can recommand not to buy the latest of the newest of the hottest hardware because they sometimes have features/hardware not yet supported by linux. The first time I installed SuSE 9.1 on my laptop it didn't support the newest centrino wifi cards, so I had to create the modules myself (which can be confusing) Wink

GL with your choice! And have fun...

ps: I can also recommend a p1 compaq armada 4131T but I don't think it will satifsy your needs Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: