Mandriva boot up...boot up..boot up..

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mandriva boot up...boot up..boot up..

Postby dave_bee » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:28 am

I’ve been having difficulty installing Mandriva from the cover Cdroms. At present it all seems to install correctly, boots up, go to the OS select screen, choose linux, I then see about four lines of code (Linux starting I guess) on screen and the system then reboots.
After reboot I get the choose OS screen, choose Linux, see four lines of code on screen and the system reboots… endless reboot loop!
I can select “e” and end up in grub which doesn’t help.

All seems OK if I boot into Windows. The PC is a AMD K6, 64Mb RAM, 8Gb HD (4Gb win, 128Mb Linux swap rest is Linux). No USB.
The install always goes to the DOSesq screens rather than the neat hi res style. I’ve run SuSE 7 and other distros on the same PC in the past (different HD).

Could it be anything to do in the way the HD is set up? What about BIOS?

Regards
Dave
dave_bee

RE: Mandriva boot up...boot up..boot up..

Postby nelz » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:50 pm

Do you get a chance to see the text output before it reboots? This may help. Pressing Scroll Lock before it boots may give you more time to read it.

The "DOSesq" installer is normal for a computer with 64MB of RAM, the graphical installer needs more.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

screen messages before reboot...reboot...reboot...

Postby dave_bee » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:23 pm

After a mad session of bashing the “pause” button, the screen goes like this:-

Kernel(hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/nda6 acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5
[Linux-bzImage,setup=0x1600, size=0x17a73e]
initrd(hd0,5)/boot/initrd.img
[Linux initra@0x3fe000, 0xfbe6 bytes]

…after which the computer immediately reboots.

Any ideas?
:(
dave_bee

Mandriva boot up...k6 kernel glitch

Postby jakinsella » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:14 pm

The k6 processor won't boot with the default kernel which is compiled for i686. You need to get the i586 flavour kernel installed instead. I had the same problem with Mandrake 10.1. The kernel package will be called something like kernel-i586-up-1GB-<version>. You will need to boot a rescue system ( the install disc ? ), mount your installed hard disk partition(s) read-write, chroot to the root partition on hard disk, and install the correct kernel. Not easy to do unless you understand everything I just said. Good luck
jakinsella

got my boots sorted

Postby dave_bee » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:45 pm

many thanks jakinsella a superb reply. I’ve removed all Mandriva and Mandrake 10.1 from the system and installed Slackware 10.1 which is now running quite happily. phew! :roll:
dave_bee

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs