Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gentoo 2005.0 amd64 users beware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logandi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Gentoo 2005.0 amd64 users beware Reply with quote

Chapter 6 of the amd64 html handbook is significantly different from the x86 version. Read both! Wink
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Gentoo 2005.0 amd64 users beware Reply with quote

That issue isn't out over here as yet. Could you brief some of it Smile (what hand book)

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Gentoo 2005.0 amd64 users beware Reply with quote

The DVD includes copies of the Gentoo installation handbooks for x86, amd64 and ppc. It is important to use the correct handbook for your architecture. this point is made in the installation instructions i the magazine.
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Gentoo 2005.0 amd64 users beware Reply with quote

Aaha Smile ...

>>
... this point is made in the installation instructions i the magazine.
>>

And i'm not surprised either (grin). It should be over here by months end, not long. Very much looking forward to it too, yes Smile

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
logandi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Gentoo 2005.0 amd64 users beware Reply with quote

If you burn the amd64 iso from the DVD, it's the manual on the disc you've burned that's short.
The one on the DVD is okay, but the boot disc version misses out the bootstrapping section of chapter six.
I was half-expecting some fancy new build-kernel-then-bootstrap affair, but then "emerge gentoo-sources" crashed out pretty quickly. Not a problem if you're used to gentoo, bit cruel on noobs though...
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: RE: Gentoo 2005.0 amd64 users beware Reply with quote

That's why the installation instructions in the magazine tell you to ignore the odcs on the ISO discs. They are for a stage 3 install.

It is important thet you read the instructions in the magazine fully before attempting to install Gentoo.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Gentoo 2005.0 amd64 users beware Reply with quote

You've not been wasting your time writing in the supplement that comes with the Linux Format discs again have you nelz? Does anybody read it (other than me)?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: