Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assembly 80x86.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Assembly 80x86. Reply with quote

I've started my CS course at Cardiff and am about to delve in to the wonderful world of assembly language. We haven't started coding yet but I'm wondering what tools are available for writing and debugging assembly language in Linux. We will be using the UCR standard library at some point (maybe, its been mentioned but its not a certainty).

I've been told that despite the fact there are portability issues between Windows and a decent OS we won't be going deep enough at this point to uncover any of them so decided I may as well look at the Linux tools and avoid rebooting.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: RE: Assembly 80x86. Reply with quote

NASM is an excellent assembler (and includes ndisasm, a disassembler). Make sure your tutors don't force you to use GNU 'as' -- the syntax is horrible, and it's only designed to deal with GCC's output.

M
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: RE: Assembly 80x86. Reply with quote

Cheers I've had a look at their sourceforge site. Just hope I don't do anything stupid now.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Assembly 80x86. Reply with quote

There's no such thing as stupidity in assembler! Except popping the call return address into your AX register, then wondering why the program falls to bits after a ret. Oops.

M
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: