XP service pack one

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

XP service pack one

Postby candy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:19 pm

Just to cheer everybody up before the bloat that is Vista gets it's launch, M$ have discontinued support for XP Service Pack 1 which apparently still 40% of XP users are still on.

Obviously, in the future M$ want to get rid of XP sharpish.

It's a pity they just don't give a patch to remove the teletubbies screen and those irritatingly patronizing speech bubbles instead.

Regards,
Candy

A girl in a million
candy

RE: XP service pack one

Postby dandnsmith » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:41 pm

I think that all the SP1 stuff is covered or updated in SP2
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby candy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:39 pm

Most true but one finding was the number of people who hadn't done the SP2 upgrade usually because they're not on Broadband. I'm sure a most profitable organization like M$ could have written/emailed all users and offered a CD with SP2 on it for those not already updated.

Regards,
Candy

A girl in a million
candy

Postby towy71 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:21 pm

Microparp released SP2 as cover disks and mailed it out to anyone who requested it, what more could they do?(yes I know, offered a proper OS :roll: )
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby kilikopele » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:47 pm

My day job is now going through the effort of patching PCs to SP2. We've been running SP1 to date. We've also received an advisory to AVOID upgrading to IE7 because many of my company's intranet functions break in IE7. I've been rather amused at the whole thing. :mrgreen:
kilikopele
LXF regular

Re: RE: XP service pack one

Postby ollie » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:42 am

kilikopele wrote: ... to AVOID upgrading to IE7 because many of my company's intranet functions break in IE7. I've been rather amused at the whole thing. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately this is happening to many web (Internet/Intranet) sites designed using proprietry M$ tags and those developed with FrontPage.
Now we might see the advantage of standards design :roll:
ollie

RE: Re: RE: XP service pack one

Postby kilikopele » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:56 am

Yeah, it gets worse. My wife runs her own business and has used Quickbooks for years. Now--after patching her system to IE7--we get a popup on Quickbooks that it only runs on IE6. THEN, the uninstaller for IE7 crapped out so I'm stuck. System Restore didn't work either, so I had to RE-install IE7 over IE7 to get it functioning again.

What's Intuit's recommendation for people in this situation? Upgrade to Quickbooks 2006 or 2007 which support the new IE7.

Tell me all this commercial crap isn't just another downward spiral of programmed obsolescence. :twisted:
kilikopele
LXF regular

Postby candy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:48 pm

At Work we don't use IE7 because of the intranet issue (We use for client records and own information system). For ordinary browsing we have FF2 installed locally.

Regards
Candy

A girl in a million
candy

Postby kilikopele » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:11 am

It's funny. I used to be the early-adopter guy. Suddenly I realized everyone is running FF2 and I'm still quite happy with FF1.something.

Am I missing much in the upgrade?

BTW, how sad is it that other than Quickbooks and Battlefield 2142, I could be Windows free?
kilikopele
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: XP service pack one

Postby Ram » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:50 am

kilikopele wrote:snipped

BTW, how sad is it that other than Quickbooks and Battlefield 2142, I could be Windows free?

Very, you should be playing CSS :P

Games are the only thing I boot into Windows for.
Ram
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: XP service pack one

Postby kilikopele » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:45 am

CSS? Counter-Strike: Source? Have it also and ran with a clan for a bit, but now my tightest friends and I have moved over to 2142. I really like the badge/medal system. It's simple, but it hooked me.

If, by CSS, you meant something else, please advise.

Seriously, if more game developers would come on-board...well, that thread has already been posted. Never mind.
kilikopele
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: XP service pack one

Postby Ram » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:29 am

yep: CS:S is what I meant.....

Developers should go back to using OpenGL, there no difference in eye candy that's noticible to the naked eye having tried Doom 3 / UT 2003 & 4 in both OSs

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Return to Other OS