Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what was your best christmas gift
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

|Last year I got a GP2X from my wife, excellent gift Smile http://www.gbax.com/
This year I have had a nice 17" TFT screen Smile http://www.pcworld.co.uk (I know, but it was a bargain)

This year, we bought online :
A socket set -ebay
A "SAD" lamp -ebay
Several books and cds/dvds -amazon and ebay
Various Dr Who toys, - play.com, amazon, and ebay.
Perfume -ebay
Various computer components - www.eclipse-computers.com , www.ballicom.co.uk and amazon
A stainless steel salad spinner -tchibo (don't ask)
An aquarium wonder cot toy -mothercare

I still have to find:

Something for a very adult 12 year old girl.
Something for a very childish 13 year old boy ( and before you suggest it , they live 200 miles apart, and I don't think that she would be impressed)

kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be the former teacher in me or the fact that I've worked with a couple clubs in the past, but for the 13 year old boy, I'd suggest juggling gear and maybe a book like "Juggling for the complete klutz". Hate to preach, but I've seen juggling to great things for peoples coordination and concentration and it introduces discipline while still allowing young and old to act "childish".

For the girl, while I've known a lot of cool female jugglers, I'm guessing a "very adult 12 year old" would likely find their way into the trash. Quite frankly, I don't know how to buy for girls. I never have, and I still struggle to buy for the girl I've lived with for 11 years.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:

A subscription to Linux Format. And a Nintendo Wii, if you can find one!

M
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
I still have to find:

A pink DS Lite + Nintendogs.

Nigel.
kittenkiss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: what was your best christmas gift Reply with quote

helend wrote:
i am shopping for christmas and i dont know what to buy for most of my family
if you tell me what your best gift was it might give me some ideas
if you know of any good places to shop on line i would love to know them post me a link
im always looking for a good deal more so at christmas than any other time post me any good deal that you know off
lets see if we can help each other have a cheaper and less stressful chrismas shopping experience
on line shopping is the way to go Laughing

Best gift I ever received was an SLR camera, as I am nuts about photography Smile That must also be the most expensive gift I've ever received! Second-best was a gorgeous cocktail-shaker with accompanying book on how to mix up the classics... Very Happy

There's nice little site with some good pressie ideas (and a prize draw to win them!) here; I found it via the Good Web Guide.. it's actually also got some sound advice on shopping safely online Smile
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: what was your best christmas gift Reply with quote

oy oy behave, this is surely spam Rolling Eyes
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: what was your best christmas gift Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
I want (in order of preference):

1. A Nintendo Wii
2. A Nintendo Wii
3. A Nintendo Wii
4. A Nintendo Wii
5. A Nintendo Wii

Oh, with Wii Play too.

M

Wii got ours this morning... and very good it is, too Very Happy
Unfortunately I only had a short play on Wii Sports, then had to go to work & leave my better half to play with it Sad

So far... I'm crap at tennis, but not too bad at bowling.

Can't wait to get home tonight & try out Wii Play & Zelda
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: what was your best christmas gift Reply with quote

Hurrah! I got mine at a midnight launch, but only stayed up playing until 2am because magazines have to be made Smile

I'm bad at bowling (always arcs to the left) but had a real blast playing boxing. Oh, not long until the evening, and then a whole weekend to sink into Zelda!

M
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilikopele wrote:
It may be the former teacher in me or the fact that I've worked with a couple clubs in the past, but for the 13 year old boy, I'd suggest juggling gear and maybe a book like "Juggling for the complete klutz". Hate to preach, but I've seen juggling to great things for peoples coordination and concentration and it introduces discipline while still allowing young and old to act "childish".

For the girl, while I've known a lot of cool female jugglers, I'm guessing a "very adult 12 year old" would likely find their way into the trash. Quite frankly, I don't know how to buy for girls. I never have, and I still struggle to buy for the girl I've lived with for 11 years.

The boy IS a complete Klutz, so maybe it would be an idea Smile

As for the girl, she can juggle quite well, is very good with Poi, and a natural on stilts.....but they are now "kids stuff" apparently, oh, and pink is out, Black is the only allowed colour.

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmmmm, probably this year, I got a Nvidia 7900GTX, but not sure if that counts, as I got it early like 2 months ago....

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, Paul (partner) says this year has been his best christmas present as I got him (his bday is on the 14/12 so its kinda of double presents) a 7900GTX, 4600+AMD 64 Dual Core, Motherboard, ThemalTake Case, and an Adventure day driving, which he gets to drive his favourite car the TVR Tuscan.... eek I need more presents!! Sad

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: what was your best christmas gift Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
kilikopele wrote:
Oh and it went from Dolby Digital 2.0 to Dolby Digital 2.1 if that means a big difference to you. Smile

Not with my old wind-up telly, no Smile

Well, I did get this gift--sort of. I got the single-disc (older) edition rather than the new 3-disc 2006 release. So I can't really answer the difference between the older release and the new release. I'm not all too disappointed, though. It's still an amazing release. (Remember, the last time I saw this movie was on VHS.) The visuals are beautiful with perfectly balanced gamma and color. The photographer in me will tell you that even the grain is lovely. The audio is clean, though strangely quiet. I pushed my Denon up to -5dB to listen--much higher than other films.

The reason I'm not too disappointed is that I also received the Criterion releases of Kurasawa's Ran and Seven Samurai as well as (non-criterion) Howl's Moving Castle and Grave of the Fireflies. Looks like I'll be doing quite a bit of watching over the coming weeks! Smile

Happy New Year to all!
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: what was your best christmas gift Reply with quote

Actually, I think my best Xmas present this years was a smile, or actually smiles, my 8 year old Grandson saw his real father and his paternal grandparents for the first time in 3 years, for a Christmas dinner at our house (it was the weekend before Christmas, but so what.)

I have always preferred giving presents to receiving them.

Happy new year to everyone.

catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: what was your best christmas gift Reply with quote

I got an Orthodontic tripartite baking bowl with mock Jacobean side curtains and also a collapsible banana support with detachable Rhubarb facility.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: what was your best christmas gift Reply with quote

What else did you get, besides some potent hallucinogens catgate? Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: