Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NOT NEEDED: xf86config vs YaST/SaX2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alloydog
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: NOT NEEDED: xf86config vs YaST/SaX2 Reply with quote

I don't use SuSe any more...
-----------------------------------------------
I'm running SuSE 9.1 Personal with KDE 3.2
With the default installation, every runs fine - albeit a bit slow.
The screen resolution is 1280 x 1024. I have tried to reduce this to 1024 x 768. The higher resolution is OK generally, but on a 17" monitor, some text is pretty small, and also, I figured it might try and lighten the load on the poor old processor - it's only a 450 MHz AMD K6-2, 512 MB RAM and 8 MB graphics adapter.

I can change the desktop resolution to 1024 x 768, but then the toolbars and icons are HUGE, because the monitor resolution is still at 1280 x 1024. I have tried to change the set-up through YaST/SaX2. However, it does not identify either the monitor or graphics adapter. I can select the monitor from the list - it's an IBM 2237-24N C71, but there is no entry for the graphics adapter, SiS 530 3D-AGP (on initial installtion, SuSE/YaST detects the adapter as an SiS 6306 3D-AGP.)

If I leave the adapter settings alone, and just select the IBM monitor, on restart X crashes as it says it cannot find any screens.

I have tried setting X up with xf86config. This works, as I can maunaly set the monitor values (horiz/vert) myself, and the graphics adapter is listed. On restart, X & KDE load OK.
But I'm back to 1280 x 1024 resolution and every time I try to change with YaST/SaX2 it buggers things up.

I have tried editting XF86Config, by removing the entries for "1280x768" in the screen resolution listings, but then when X starts, it crahes saying it cannot find any screens.

Last edited by alloydog on Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: xf86config vs YaST/SaX2 - difference of opinion..., Reply with quote

alloydog wrote:
I'm running SuSE 9.1 Personal with KDE 3.2
With the default installation, every runs fine - albeit a bit slow.
The screen resolution is 1280 x 1024. I have tried to reduce this to 1024 x 768. The higher resolution is OK generally, but on a 17" monitor, some text is pretty small, and also, I figured it might try and lighten the load on the poor old processor - it's only a 450 MHz AMD K6-2, 512 MB RAM and 8 MB graphics adapter.

I can change the desktop resolution to 1024 x 768, but then the toolbars and icons are HUGE, because the monitor resolution is still at 1280 x 1024. I have tried to change the set-up through YaST/SaX2. However, it does not identify either the monitor or graphics adapter. I can select the monitor from the list - it's an IBM 2237-24N C71, but there is no entry for the graphics adapter, SiS 530 3D-AGP (on initial installtion, SuSE/YaST detects the adapter as an SiS 6306 3D-AGP.)

If I leave the adapter settings alone, and just select the IBM monitor, on restart X crashes as it says it cannot find any screens.

I have tried setting X up with xf86config. This works, as I can maunaly set the monitor values (horiz/vert) myself, and the graphics adapter is listed. On restart, X & KDE load OK.
But I'm back to 1280 x 1024 resolution and every time I try to change with YaST/SaX2 it buggers things up.

I have tried editting XF86Config, by removing the entries for "1280x768" in the screen resolution listings, but then when X starts, it crahes saying it cannot find any screens.
alloydog
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: RE: Re: xf86config vs YaST/SaX2 - difference of opinion..., Reply with quote

Wow, an echo...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: