Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Seen at the quick check-outs

Postby spottedcat » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:24 pm

Marks & Spencer - "5 items or fewer"

Waitrose - "8 items or fewer"

Tesco - "10 items or less"

Sainsburys - "Baskets only"

Moral:

Marks & Sparks is for grammatical pedants who have fat wallets and can afford their prices.
Waitrose is for grammatical pedants who are also foodies - and can afford their prices.
Tesco is for illiterates ("Every little helps.") :roll: Every little what helps? :evil: :wink:
Sainsburys is for those unsure about syntax and who load their baskets up to the ceiling.

Note to non-UK members: Sorry to be so parochial.
spottedcat
LXF regular

RE: Seen at the quick check-outs

Postby towy71 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:47 pm

Grammatical pedants my a**e, either it is grammatically correct or it's newspeak and beneath contempt :roll:

The Tesco one implies that you can take from two to ten items but not a single one ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby nelz » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:59 pm

They all used to say "x items or less" until there were complaints on Grumpy Old Men. The power of TV :)

The Tesco one does not exclude one item, the plural is correct when offering a choice - "tick one or two boxes", the use of less is clearly wrong.

The Sainsburys' wording implies that either their customers or staff cannot count to ten :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Rhakios » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:06 pm

If they've got what I want, it isn't too pricey and the queue's not too long, I don't care what it says. :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby donoreo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:45 pm

OT: M&S is expensive over there? I know when we had them in Canada (1973 - 199something after 1995) they were not the cheapest. They were also not big stores here, would fit into malls, but not be "anchor" stores
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:53 pm

Obviously sainsbury's aren't that bothered if you have hundreds of tiny items or one of the largest items you can fit in a basket :P But if you have only a few items in a trolley (ie. too large/heavy to carry in a basket) -Oooohhh no - find another checkout!! :lol:
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:47 pm

Or perhaps Sainsbury's are being kind to the intellectually challenged - do they mean basket-cases only ? :lol:
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:52 pm

Ahhh yes, never thought of that Nigel :D The 'cases' bit is probably in small-print, it's just that the signs are too high for us to notice it :)
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:19 pm

You missed out Morrisons- "Cash only" and "Baskets only" lanes.

And what about ASDA "self checkout" - which often has a "Problem in the bagging area".
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:59 pm

Now I thought Morrisons said "Hand Baskets Only", sorry to be pedantic and my memory might even be playing up.
My favourite occupation when our local Safeway was converted to a Morrisons was to go to the basket checkout and say, "Oh! I haven't got too many things, have I? No, of course, it's just hand baskets only now! Not nine items or less. What a relief!"
There were certain checkout Nazis in the Safeway era who would object that you had ten or eleven items if you had picked up some BOGOFs. :evil:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Ram » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:58 am

Tesco - "10 items or less"

The Tesco one implies that you can take from two to ten items but not a single one

no it impiles 2 items or less :P

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Re: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs

Postby Ram » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:14 am

M0PHP wrote:Obviously sainsbury's aren't that bothered if you have hundreds of tiny items or one of the largest items you can fit in a basket :P But if you have only a few items in a trolley (ie. too large/heavy to carry in a basket) -Oooohhh no - find another checkout!! :lol:

Funny enough I was in Morrisons last night, 10 people in the basket / x items checkout. This make me laugh, I used a checkout with 1 customer who had about 20 - 30 bits of shopping, I was out of the door before the express checkout had got half way through :)
Ram
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:11 pm

Rhakios wrote:Now I thought Morrisons said "Hand Baskets Only", sorry to be pedantic and my memory might even be playing up.

You might be right, but they also have a "Cash only" lane at our local one.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs

Postby nelz » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:13 pm

Is that for little old ladies who want to give the right money in coppers? Like this?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Rhakios » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:29 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:You might be right, but they also have a "Cash only" lane at our local one.

As they do here, but what happens when someone gets a huge great pile shopping checked through and then fishes out a credit card? They take it, of course. Or they used to. Now, every time someone joins the queue for cash only, the checkout girl points out that it's only for cash and usually they move on.
I prefer Tescos, or at least the one I've been in, where you can pay however you like on all the checkouts.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Next

Return to Off Topic