Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seen at the quick check-outs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Seen at the quick check-outs Reply with quote

Marks & Spencer - "5 items or fewer"

Waitrose - "8 items or fewer"

Tesco - "10 items or less"

Sainsburys - "Baskets only"

Moral:

Marks & Sparks is for grammatical pedants who have fat wallets and can afford their prices.
Waitrose is for grammatical pedants who are also foodies - and can afford their prices.
Tesco is for illiterates ("Every little helps.") Rolling Eyes Every little what helps? Evil or Very Mad Wink
Sainsburys is for those unsure about syntax and who load their baskets up to the ceiling.

Note to non-UK members: Sorry to be so parochial.
towy71

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs Reply with quote

Grammatical pedants my a**e, either it is grammatically correct or it's newspeak and beneath contempt Rolling Eyes

The Tesco one implies that you can take from two to ten items but not a single one Wink
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs Reply with quote

They all used to say "x items or less" until there were complaints on Grumpy Old Men. The power of TV Smile

The Tesco one does not exclude one item, the plural is correct when offering a choice - "tick one or two boxes", the use of less is clearly wrong.

The Sainsburys' wording implies that either their customers or staff cannot count to ten Smile
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs Reply with quote

If they've got what I want, it isn't too pricey and the queue's not too long, I don't care what it says. Smile
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs Reply with quote

OT: M&S is expensive over there? I know when we had them in Canada (1973 - 199something after 1995) they were not the cheapest. They were also not big stores here, would fit into malls, but not be "anchor" stores
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs Reply with quote

Obviously sainsbury's aren't that bothered if you have hundreds of tiny items or one of the largest items you can fit in a basket Razz But if you have only a few items in a trolley (ie. too large/heavy to carry in a basket) -Oooohhh no - find another checkout!! Laughing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs Reply with quote

Or perhaps Sainsbury's are being kind to the intellectually challenged - do they mean basket-cases only ? Laughing
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs Reply with quote

Ahhh yes, never thought of that Nigel Very Happy The 'cases' bit is probably in small-print, it's just that the signs are too high for us to notice it Smile
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs Reply with quote

You missed out Morrisons- "Cash only" and "Baskets only" lanes.

And what about ASDA "self checkout" - which often has a "Problem in the bagging area".

Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs Reply with quote

Now I thought Morrisons said "Hand Baskets Only", sorry to be pedantic and my memory might even be playing up.
My favourite occupation when our local Safeway was converted to a Morrisons was to go to the basket checkout and say, "Oh! I haven't got too many things, have I? No, of course, it's just hand baskets only now! Not nine items or less. What a relief!"
There were certain checkout Nazis in the Safeway era who would object that you had ten or eleven items if you had picked up some BOGOFs. Evil or Very Mad
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs Reply with quote

Tesco - "10 items or less"

The Tesco one implies that you can take from two to ten items but not a single one

no it impiles 2 items or less Razz

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs Reply with quote

M0PHP wrote:
Obviously sainsbury's aren't that bothered if you have hundreds of tiny items or one of the largest items you can fit in a basket Razz But if you have only a few items in a trolley (ie. too large/heavy to carry in a basket) -Oooohhh no - find another checkout!! Laughing

Funny enough I was in Morrisons last night, 10 people in the basket / x items checkout. This make me laugh, I used a checkout with 1 customer who had about 20 - 30 bits of shopping, I was out of the door before the express checkout had got half way through Smile
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
Now I thought Morrisons said "Hand Baskets Only", sorry to be pedantic and my memory might even be playing up.

You might be right, but they also have a "Cash only" lane at our local one.

nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs Reply with quote

Is that for little old ladies who want to give the right money in coppers? Like this?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Seen at the quick check-outs Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:

You might be right, but they also have a "Cash only" lane at our local one.

As they do here, but what happens when someone gets a huge great pile shopping checked through and then fishes out a credit card? They take it, of course. Or they used to. Now, every time someone joins the queue for cash only, the checkout girl points out that it's only for cash and usually they move on.
I prefer Tescos, or at least the one I've been in, where you can pay however you like on all the checkouts.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: