obvious firefox question?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

obvious firefox question?

Postby 1slipperyfish » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:55 pm

as you may know i am having trouble getting firefox to navigate the internet,
so i thought i would install the latest version just to make sure it's ok.
i have stored it in tmp and i have untarred it as it says on the firefox webpage then cd firefox-installer
then when i type ./firefox-installer it says
Code: Select all
./firefox-installer-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

the file does exist in tmp as i can see it.
does anyone know what i am doing wrong? other than getting involved with linux :D
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

RE: obvious firefox question?

Postby youlikeicecream » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:29 pm

re-install libstdc version 5 and it will be fine, I had the same thing. Just to be sure i whacked all versions of libstdc i could find onto my system with positive results

:)
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:59 pm

i have managed to find an rpm and installed it successfully :? but i still cannot install fire-fox from a tarball as it keeps saying
tar: /firefox-1.0.4.installer.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

any ideas?
thanks
paul

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:14 pm

sorry that was me i forgot to log in again :roll:
any was i have unzipped firefox on a different file and i still get the message
/firefox-installer-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

when i ./firefox-installer although the rpm said that the installation was successful, i think it was lying :x
i have downloaded the lib file that ends in .deb but am unsure what to do with it to install it?
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:16 pm

1sf (troll), wtf are you doing?

Mixing rpms, debs and installers is a sure way to cause problems. Stick to the package management system for your distribution (which you haven't mentioned in this thread, is it still PCLinuxOS?) and use it's official updates. As it says ina another thread, the firefox version is probably irrelevant, it is more likely to be something to do with ipv6, which should be disabled.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby youlikeicecream » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:05 pm

i have libstdc++5 and libstdc++6 installed (via kynaptic) none of the dev or dbg and mozilla ff installer runs just fine

i am running Kubuntu Hoary
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:25 pm

when i installed the lib file i then couldn't get into /home and thus when rebooting couldn't get kde to launch. i am going to re-install and see how i go on.
is it a mandriva problem or just my crap-osity? :roll:
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:31 pm

Just for you 1sf (troll), I booted up atropos (my Mandriva machine atm) and used Firefox for some web browsing and now I'm posting here with it.
So I'm going to make the rash aaumption that your problems are of your own making.

:D

And now I think I'll stop using it as this fuzzy CRT is beginning to hurt my eyes.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:32 pm

i have re-installed the whole os and i still get the same libstdc++ error :? i then used the mandriva cd to re-install libstdc++ but as i was doing so it said that the file was corupted :?
i have checked in konsole while in root ll /usr/lib | grep libstdc and i have libstdc++.so.6 would this newer version not be enough to use bash or is so.5 a specific library??
i have an old copy of fedora and am thinking of installing that as i have before and at least i can run scripts, and zilla works in it tssssssssss!!!
could i do this while still keeping the scary crow?(mandriva)
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:34 pm

Why not get the libstdc++ file from somewhere else, such as an ftp mirror?

Indeed, why not use your Mandriva as it is supposed to be used by adding as many on-line sources to the urpmi config as you can. How? Look here.

Maybe you can install FC alongside Mandriva, creating a multi-boot, I'm sure it has been mentioned how to do it on these forums several times in the past, good luck!
:D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:52 am

Download Firefox to Home Directory.Extract it in home.Run firefox installer same directory...so what? Find the Firefox.sh in the directory firefox installer. Click on it(its a shell script) browser should run. You can then use application launcher to launch firefox.when you browse firefox-installer directory the shell script will still be where you put it. Icons for the application launcher are ..in the same directory. download Flashplayer from Macromedia. Run it in terminal and link to Firefox in your home/?/firefox-installer/firefox and you will flash installed auto for all your browsers.

Postby youlikeicecream » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:20 am

you do need version 5 it is quite specific, version 6 is not the right one unfortunately. I installed firefox in a console by navigating to where i unzipped it and typed # ./firefox-installer should just run or give the libstd5 error message.

Mike :)
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:19 pm

i can now run firefox-installer(woohooo!!) but i can only get firefox to point at my home page www.wanadoo.co.uk i have looked into it and i think it might have something to do with ocsp?? i am unsure what settings to use?? i have been to mozilla and the settings they recommend are not in the options??
was feeling better but now not :roll:

it's not half hard work this linux
oh and i have forgotten my password for pcplus :roll: and when i type in the correct password it says that my email is incorrect :!: :?:
and now to bed
thankyou all for your time
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:50 pm

1slipperyfish (troll) wrote: i have looked into it and i think it might have something to do with ocsp??

I'd be surprised if that were true. Just as a matter of interest, do you have any better luck if you use konqueror as a browser, and is firefox still working okay from Windows?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:18 pm

konqueror works fine in linux and mozilla works fine in windows?as i have said i have used the same mozilla settings for windows and it still doesn't work?
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Next

Return to Help!