obvious firefox question?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby AJB2K3 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:06 pm

*slaps you with a wet fish* mandriva uses libstdc.++.so6 and a lot of rpm need 5. you will have to bite the bullit and build from source of wate for an uptodate build.
AJB2K3
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:29 pm

i found an rpm for so.5 and it now works fine other than i still can't browse in the mighty firefox :roll:
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:50 pm

When you say you use the same settings as in Windows, you didn't do anything funny like directly importing your Windows profile to Linux did you?

As an experiment, you could remove/rename your .mozilla directory (which contains your configuration for firefox) then try starting firefox again, where it will build a new config and try that before changing anything.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:20 pm

i have to say it doesn't sound that funny to me :roll: no i haven't
i think it's something i have done or not done though :?:
talk slower(as if to a very stupid dog :D ) how would i go about removing renaming my .mozilla directory?? as in usr/lib/var/mozilla?? that's not it just an example.
thanks for your time and help rhakios you truly are a man in womans' clothing :D
paul
ps if i remove firefox how will it know where to look to open it??

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:23 pm

Now now 1sf (troll), how do you know I won't tell you to do something that will fsck your whole setup.

But seriously. Assuming you are using KDE with Mandriva: in konqueror click View and check Show Hidden Files while in your home directory. You will now see, among many others, a directory called .mozilla (notice the "." at the beginning, any file with one in front is a hidden file for most file managers). It's probably best to rename it, at least that way you can save your bookmarks. Do I need to tell you that to rename it you need to right click on it and select Rename, then type in a new name and press return?

Good dogfish, here's a biscuit.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:38 pm

rhakios!!!!!
a biscuit i'm on a strict diet!! the big race on sunday :shock:
i notice you didn't refute the man in womens' clothes jibe :D
thanks again
paul
ps while you are in a generous mood
i have installed one of the players from the lxf dvd and the screenshot shows a gui but i'm not sure how to evoke it, will i have to use command line?

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:50 pm

Thanks for telling me which player it is and how you installed it, now I have everything I need to know.

And if you think that wearing women's clothes is the sort of thing you can get away with in a builder's merchants, then you must have some strange builders up north. It's well known that only fitters wear women's clothes at work.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:09 pm

actually rhakios you are incorrect fitters only wear womens clothes in their own time :D
it was stream ripper
i did the tar -xzvf blahdiblah.tar.gz
cd streamripper
make
make install
./configure
then it did a load of jiggering about and returned the root prompt
was i supposed to do something else?(slowly now :D )
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:21 pm

You want to do:

./configure
make
make install

...in that order. For the last step, you have to be logged in as root. Any problems (eg missing dependent files) will be easy to spot -- so if it all compiles correctly, you should just be able to run 'streamripper' after it's installed.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:44 pm

As I remember, Kubuntu ships with a working Firefox browser, so why do you need to install anything? And there's no reason why the browser should point at only one website, unless your ISP has blocks on every other website in the world.

Postby 1slipperyfish » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:31 pm

perhaps it does? and i'm using mandriva, i have tried to install the latest version of firefox but it gets to the part that has to connect to mozilla and then just freezes as it can't connect? although konqueror works ok?
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby 1slipperyfish » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:10 pm

just to update i have got it working from command line and it isn't what i wanted after all that :roll: i will try and delete it later.
i was just looking for a media player(not kscd) and i should have thought from the name what it was :roll:
thanks for your help
paul
rhakios i have changed the name to .mozilla22 and everytime i open the browser it makes a new file called .mozilla and firefox still times out and doesn't go anywhere?? i have just found that i have a file called .mozilla with a lock on it in the root part?
Last edited by 1slipperyfish on Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby 1slipperyfish » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:20 pm

1slipperyfish (troll) wrote:just to update i have got it working from command line and it isn't what i wanted after all that :roll: i will try and delete it later.
i was just looking for a media player(not kscd) and i should have thought from the name what it was :roll:
thanks for your help
paul
rhakios i have changed the name to .monkey and everytime i open the browser it makes a new file called .mozilla and firefox still times out and doesn't go anywhere??

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:25 pm

Don't touch anything there!!!

The dot files in your home folder are your personal configuration and you can play with these as much as you want to without breaking the whole system, ou will only break what applies to you as a user. Don't meddle with global configurations if you don't undertand them.

So 1sf (troll), I have no idea why firefox works for me and not for you. It must be karma :D

If you want to uninstall that media player, then if you kept the build directory, you should be able to enter it, su to root, then do

make uninstall

of course, if the developer didn't provide an unistall target in the makefile then you're stuffed. Trying to do it all by hand can be a real problem, it might just be best to leave it.

If you want a mdeia player, why not just use kaffeine (everything) or amarok (music)? And if you followed my tip about adding urpmi resources then installation will be as simple as typing (as root)

urpmi kaffeine

or

urpmi amarok

if they aren't already installed, which they probably are.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:32 pm

Look at the fourth post, last line in this thread 1sf (troll), then look at this thread. Did you remember to try disabling ipv6 to fix your firefox problem?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

PreviousNext

Return to Help!