Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I think that I am going off computers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk - you have my sympathy. I've had days like that, too... usually when I've been doing too much tech support & not enough programming. A while back I was even toying with the idea of giving up computing & going into teaching... until some sessions in the classroom at the school where I was a governor gave me a timely reality check - there's no way I could cope with that every day !

As others have said, you probably just need a new challenge to restore the enthusiasm. And there's one on the way in the new year - just wait till your first client gets Vista and you have to make everything else work with it Twisted Evil
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=- Turn on, Tune in, Drop out -=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Kali lives ! -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

As long as there are some solar panels around, one can always plug into them, if a keyboard fix is needed.

Stuff is never actually lost, regardless of how misplaced it may all be ...

Smile

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
Jules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
Mind you, I've got an exciting day tomorrow, running comparative PCL tests on 2 Ricoh MFPs to see if I can get the "condensed" command to work, along with media selection by type, not tray.

I can't wait.

Computers will never be boring, as long as we have the user interface to deal with. Was the same when I got into computers 30 years ago, and it's the same now.

Jules

(Still adding to The Big Bodge Book after all these years)
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

Well, no danger of me taking up teaching- I can't stand kids in the plural, I can usually manage one to one, so maybe tutorials? no.
Programming?-no thanks, I have a severe aversion to code.

I finally got the media selection to work, turns out there was a 2 page series of misprints and mistranslations on the only command in the PCL manual that I wanted to use (sigh) Ricoh tech support spent some time on the phone to Japan Smile

I feel a strong need for fresh air and daylight.

jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
>>
I finally got the media selection to work, turns out there was a 2 page series of misprints and mistranslations on the only command in the PCL manual that I wanted to use
>>

Not uncommon either, manuals can be subject to the same error potential as any other printed document.

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
ollie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

Teaching teenagers - no way! Adult education - I enjoy teaching, although we do get a large number of older teenagers as well (they've finished school anyway). Teaching adults that have never turned a computer on, never typed a document and never thought they would touch a computer can be enjoyable - except for the M$ Windows compulsory subjects.

I taught Linux (Knoppix & Ubuntu) for the first time this year and insisted that all assessments be submitted electronically using OpenOffice.org in the Open Document Format and had the best attendance record of all classes. It just needed some lateral thinking and a supportive head teacher (and some jealousy from other teachers).

But I still hear from IT Teachers and IT support - "I hate computers" - just because of the constant crashes. Evil or Very Mad
jezebelus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
Yes, after all these years, I find my interest waning.
Back in the days of 8080,Z80, 6504 chips, 4 digit displays on HPs, and a 20 column green screen they were a real challenge to do anything with.
Amigas were nice, PCs were crap, Novell 3.1, windows 3.11, then w95,w98,200,xp, Caldera, Storm, Suse, Mandrake, it was all such fun, trying to defeat the user interface.

These days, it just seems boring and safe.

I increasingly use my PC for surfing, Ebay, email, photos. music and very little else.

Boring....................................

In fact, I just spent a week in Cornwall without booting my laptop once! no email, web surfing, no games.
The wife thinks I am ill.

Sorry mate but I wouldn't agree. I mean thesedays computers are powerful machines which can do almost everything media related. The only problem is Microsoft and their crappy OS which isn't able to handle apps properly but if you wanna stable and solid system get yourself Mac and there is no problems.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

jezebelus wrote:
[

Sorry mate but I wouldn't agree. I mean these days computers are powerful machines which can do almost everything media related. The only problem is Microsoft and their crappy OS which isn't able to handle apps properly but if you wanna stable and solid system get yourself Mac and there is no problems.

Get a Mac? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....I'd rather use Gnome for a week as an exercise in frustration.

My favourite Mac OSX error message : "An error has occurred...Because: an error has occurred"

(FYI, I support Windows, Linux and Macs at work)

The reason I don't like OSX and its poorly cloned brother Vista, etc, is because when everything works OK, they're fine, but when something goes wrong......

My job is fixing things....give me Linux any day.

spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
Get a Mac? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....I'd rather use Gnome for a week as an exercise in frustration.

The poster you are responding to swept in here today, posted in quick succession to no less than seven threads (some stale) in Off Topic, and advised you to use a Mac in this one. I've got better things to do than check to see if he's even mentioned Linux once in any of his other posts, but I would say this is curious posting behaviour. Needs watching IMO.

And this post is from a member who prefers Gnome and who has just started to play around with a Mac. Laughing
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

spottedcat wrote:

The poster you are responding to swept in here today, posted in quick succession to no less than seven threads (some stale) in Off Topic, and advised you to use a Mac in this one. I've got better things to do than check to see if he's even mentioned Linux once in any of his other posts, but I would say this is curious posting behaviour. Needs watching IMO.

I've noticed his sig is a link, but I've not followed it. Link in sig with no overt selling isn't enough to get my anti-spam juices flowing. <insert shrugging-smiley here>
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: