Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 9x is finally done
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Windows 9x is finally done Reply with quote

As far as support and updates go. I am surprised no one posted this yesterday since July 11 was the day Microsoft finally abandoned the 9x line.

They should have done this a long time ago.
alloydog
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows 9x is finally done Reply with quote

donoreo wrote:
They should have done this a long time ago.

You dog!! '98 was the last of the good Windows! I love it! Very Happy

It is still running strong on my little girl's PC, and it's never had a single Microsoft update.

Oookay, I admit, it has been tweaked and pruned and isn't quite 100% Microsoft any more. Damn that open source software stuff, it gets everywhere!
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Windows 9x is finally done Reply with quote

I prefered 9x to XP. At the very least 9x had a command line that could be run independantly of the GUI mess.
super_tux
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Windows 9x is finally done Reply with quote

Quote:
You dog!! '98 was the last of the good Windows

If there was such a thing as a good Windows!

In fat I can see the next release now... Windows RG.

(Windows Really Good) Wink
TheDoctor
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows 9x is finally done Reply with quote

alloydog wrote:
You dog!! '98 was the last of the good Windows! I love it! Very Happy

Agreed. It's the Windows OS that I use on my other PC.

I use Windows XP at one of the places I work, and it's like trudging through congealed marmalade in a pair of flippers. When I complain about Windows getting evermore bloated, this is a cry from the heart.
mugstar
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Windows 9x is finally done Reply with quote

super_tux wrote:
Quote:
You dog!! '98 was the last of the good Windows

If there was such a thing as a good Windows!

In fat I can see the next release now... Windows RG.

(Windows Really Good) Wink

You mean this?

(flash required)
alloydog
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Windows 9x is finally done Reply with quote

groovey stuff
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Windows 9x is finally done Reply with quote

I wonder if the autoshutdown feature will be improved in Vista or whether they actually will get things right this time.
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Windows 9x is finally done Reply with quote

A leopard cannot change its spots Wink
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Windows 9x is finally done Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
A leopard cannot change its spots Wink

That's me stuffed then. Sad
ryptyde

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Windows 9x is finally done Reply with quote

I was never to keen on 98 always a pain with installations,hardware and software.XP seemed to be a lot smoother and then as of late everything that Microsoft is trying to implement is a complete turn-off for me.

I took the challenge and tried the recent Vista "beta" and do regret installing now as it is so buggy.I would gladly use 98 instead.Time to R&R the Vista it is all show and no go.

There were plans on dumping support for 98 a couple of years ago but it was extended till now.

Phil
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Windows 9x is finally done Reply with quote

I do not understand the people liking 98! I got rid of it as soon as I got 2000 and that was not soon enough! It was horrible, the only things worse were 95 and ME.
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Windows 9x is finally done Reply with quote

donoreo wrote:
I do not understand the people liking 98! I got rid of it as soon as I got 2000 and that was not soon enough! It was horrible, the only things worse were 95 and ME.

A stronger CLI than NT based versions and far less intrusive than later Windows versions. The endless blue screens were even avoidable if you didn't try to remove a floppy disk or anything.
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Windows 9x is finally done Reply with quote

Yeah, it did not blue screen if you did not do anything! I found 2000 to be the "best" Windows for me. No cartoony crap like XP has (of course always turned off on any machine I work on) and stable.
TheDoctor
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue screens are less of a problem in W98 than memory leaks. These are caused by programs not releasing memory after they terminate. (The worst offender in this respect seems to be Adobe Acrobat.) Of course, once your Windows system runs out of memory, you get the blue screen of death.

The reason that memory leakage occurs is that Windows programs are responsible for their own memory management. This is the case with every version of Windows - it's a legacy from DOS - so the problem is integral to Windows, every flavour. On the other hand, under *nix, memory managment is handled by the operating system, so the problem doesn't occur.

To "ipgrade" from W98 to XP involves a lot of time, trouble and money in order to get more of the same (only it feels as if someone has poured rice pudding into your keyboard).
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: